Seeking busybox guidance

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Seeking busybox guidance

Post#1 by nanZor » 07 Nov 2021, 11:18

I frequently compile and run the default config of the latest Busybox - but only at a user-level. Porteus' devel module makes that super easy to compile.

So no problem as a user (putting busybox and it's symbolic links in a directory in front of my path - the usual stuff.)

BUT, I'd like to take it further to see if I can start replacing things on a system-wide level without breaking things too much.

So I'm wondering what would you suggest as a system plan for a busybox test? Replacing the gnu file utils one by one and seeing what breaks, or perhaps making an entire module to load first?

I kind of have the itch to see if I can make a "busybox'ed" version of Porteus, but as you can see, I'm more likely to break it and end in tears. As a user-level thing, no sweat. But wholesale replacement? I'm scared....
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Seeking busybox guidance

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 07 Nov 2021, 19:38

nanZor wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 11:18
Replacing the gnu file utils one by one and seeing what breaks, or perhaps making an entire module to load first?
yes :D ... either way.. the first is probably more sensible, creating a renamed/backup of the target binary before symlinking to busybox..
and with the module approach i would activate it after boot, since the most likely problem would occur in the rc scripts ..ie some function/option lacking in the busybox applet(can't really think off the top of my head what, though)
and then you should be able to just deactivate if there's a problem.. unless the activate/deactivate script is somehow broken by it... :P
from memory, i think Brokenman mostly just preferred the greater functionality of the standard gnu utils..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Seeking busybox guidance

Post#3 by nanZor » 07 Nov 2021, 21:46

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll leave busybox-init for the last. I'll be saving my state often. :)

Just a personal project - not trying to change Porteus' overall direction.

I normally build the whole binary, and not individual apps, but that can be done if one wanted.

For lurkers, just to show my ignorance, I love busybox vi - I don't need vim or some other module. So I like to keep on top of the latest bug-fixes with the latest stable source.

It's all there... mostly guided by the faq

https://busybox.net/FAQ.html#getting_started

After grabbing the busybox source, all I do is this:

Code: Select all

make defconfig
make
Then I'll toss the new busybox binary into the start of my path say at /usr/local/bin

Then I create a symlink in that directory to call it as vi. However, since a slightly older busybox vi exists on the system, I'll rename the symlink to make sure I'm using the NEW vi, (renamed / linked as bvi) not the original. Two steps to that however.

ln -s busybox vi
Makes the correct symlink. BUT once that has been created, I'll manually rename that symlink itself afterwards to my desired name, bvi.

mv vi bvi
So now when I want to use vi, I'll invoke it as bvi just to keep the old and the new straight. Or as in the faq, do a for-loop and have it create all the symlinks for everything for you....

One *could* build an individual applet just for vi alone, but I slack it with the bloated (1mb!) :) binary in case I want to call up something else that may not be in the canonical gnu-utils stuff.

How to test if you've done it right? BB can be very customized with a menuconfig. The original vi has no help. But if you've done a defconfig, you can test by seeing help:

vi --help
Or in my case with the rename, bvi --help

It's all Porteus' fault for teasing me when I first recognized the built-in vi editor! :)
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Seeking busybox guidance

Post#4 by Rava » 16 Feb 2022, 03:41

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 19:38
i think Brokenman mostly just preferred the greater functionality of the standard gnu utils..
That's true, you can check that out when something at boot goes wrong and you are in the busybox shell trying to look for the reasons. (You can force that by creating a wrong entry in your porteus.cfg if you want)

Often I then realize that common used parameters are no longer valid since I not run the actual program but the busybox replacement instead. Since I only run that in very rare occasions I cannot recall any details, but its still reality that many parameters are missing from the busybox replacement commands.

And that can be a reason for a broken system or broken scripts that rely one some of these now missing parameters.
Cheers!
Yours Rava