[Solved] XFCE - Where is "do not show this message again" notification area info stored?

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

[Solved] XFCE - Where is "do not show this message again" notification area info stored?

Post#1 by Rava » 25 Oct 2021, 07:14

Hi,

I use XFCE. I get the popup message that a certain app got started and iconified in the notification area every time I start Porteus anew (app is Florence virtual keyboard).

I then click the "do not show this message again" part of that pop-up-notification (presumably done via notify-send) … but since I do not save changes but copy all settings what I want to keep manually… I need to know where this "do not show this message again" about a certain app is stored … I presume it's somewhere in guest's ~/ folder.

For now in all my Porteus systems (XFCE 3.12 Port 4.0i586 and XFCE 3.12 Port 5.0rc-current x86-64) I have to click "do not show this message again" after every reboot.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Where is "do not show this message again"notification area info stored?

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 25 Oct 2021, 08:23

'changes-time <some seconds>' shortly after you start app/click "do not show this message again" might help narrow it down... a folder of of the most recent(in timespan) changes is dump in /root ...
does florence have a ~/.config/ florence/? configuration? or maybe it uses dconf (~/.config/dconf/user) ..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Rava » 25 Oct 2021, 11:35

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 08:23
'changes-time <some seconds>' shortly after you start app/click "do not show this message again" might help narrow it down... a folder of of the most recent(in timespan) changes is dump in /root ...
does florence have a ~/.config/ florence/? configuration? or maybe it uses dconf (~/.config/dconf/user) ..
Currently I have my x86-64 machine with the 5.0rc-current shut down due to planned hardware maintenance.

But since I am finished with today's work… and the sun is shining and we have a near-perfect golden Indian summer (here we call it "Altweibersommer"- literally "old women's summer") … so I have to get on my bike and enjoy the sun and the lovely coloured leaves …
[Rava's local off topic info put into spoilers]
If you want to reply to the spoilers stuff above, please either do so via PM - or put it into General chat - and send me a PM so that I know about it. Please do not reply on that here since it's off topic.

My 32 bit Porteus 4.0 system has only Florence.desktop in ~/

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ find .|grep -i florence
./.config/autostart/Florence.desktop
There is no file named florence in /root:

root@porteus:~# find .|grep -i florence
root@porteus:~# 
I thought the notification area info via notify-send is made by the system, either by XFCE or by 00[12]*.xzm, not by the app that gets iconified into the notification area? Seems I was mistaken.

I presume florence uses dconf (~/.config/dconf/user) since you can change its settings and it recalls these settings.
Sadly, I do not know of a "dconf browser" that would give us human-readable info what programs store info in dconf.

As soon as my main x86-64 machine maintenance is over (hopefully successfully) I start up 5.0rc-current and will then do the changes-time … and report back here.
But I am not sure if it helps when changes-time only gives dconf as possible file… since I already put the florence-updated guest's dconf into my rootcopy/ folder… still the notification comes up.

Still, I re-check if florence is in the autostart of XFCE and really auto-started after a new boot-up… and the save the dconf once again after clicking "do not show this message again"… and reboot for sh*ts and giggles. And report back. :D
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Rava » 25 Oct 2021, 20:28

I used my one-liner with the correct date and time search and found two files, dconf and xfce4-panel.xml - the later has an entry for florence.

guest@porteus:~$ find . -mtime 0 2>/dev/null | xargs ls -oad --color=auto --time-style=long-iso 2>&1 |grep -vE "cache| .$| ..$"|grep "2021-10-25 22:12"
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest     60 2021-10-25 22:12 ./.config/dconf
-rw-r--r--  1 guest  13252 2021-10-25 22:12 ./.config/dconf/user
drwxr-xr-x  2 guest    300 2021-10-25 22:12 ./.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml
-rw-r--r--  1 guest   3691 2021-10-25 22:12 ./.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml
Copied both to what becomes my 992-rootcopy.xzm module. Will post update after I restarted the system.

Due to RL interfering I had to skip the hardware maintenance and start-up my shut down x86-64 Port 5.0rc-current system instead; maintenance will have to wait… and so will testing if dconf and xfce4-panel.xml do the trick in disabling the "do not show this message again" popup.

Will post update as soon as I restarted the system - tomorrow at the earliest. Unless RL demands otherwise and I do not have the time.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Rava » 28 Oct 2021, 18:28

Update
From what I can say, seems ~/.config/dconf/user does the trick. Image

Not sure if ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml is needed to be saved at all…

It contains this (only shown the part where florence is mentioned)

<property name="names-visible" type="array">
        <value type="string" value="networkmanager applet"/>
        <value type="string" value="clipit"/>
        <value type="string" value="florence"/>
        <value type="string" value="redshiftgui"/>
        <value type="string" value="thunar"/>
      </property>
and xfce4-notifyd.xml from the same folder this: (again only shown the part where florence is mentioned)

<channel name="xfce4-notifyd" version="1.0">
  <property name="notify-location" type="uint" value="2"/>
  <property name="theme" type="string" value="Default"/>
  <property name="applications" type="empty">
    <property name="known_applications" type="array">
      <value type="string" value="Florence"/>
      <value type="string" value="Interlink"/>
      <value type="string" value="nm-applet"/>
      <value type="string" value="Thunar"/>
      <value type="string" value="Xfce volume control"/>
      <value type="string" value="Xfce4-notifyd settings"/>
      <value type="string" value="xfce4-settings-helper"/>
      <value type="string" value="xfdesktop"/>
    </property>
[…]
Cheers!
Yours Rava

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#6 by ncmprhnsbl » 28 Oct 2021, 21:53

another thing to do, if you're interested in exactly what settings(for florence or other) dconf stores: get dconf-editor (from current: getpkg dconf-editor) and wade through it's labyrinth..

non-graphically: i believe, gsettings list-recursively will show all settings current in dconf/user
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 28 Oct 2021, 22:09

^
Good tip, will check these out.

Yay for wading through a labyrinth… sounds like a good goal for long dark and gloomy winter nights, which are approaching since I am on the northern hemisphere.
Cheers!
Yours Rava