Option to shrink Windows partition

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#16 by Rava » 08 Nov 2021, 05:31

Ed_P wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 15:04
With Porteus you can use GParted to shrink the Windows' partition. It's in Porteus' Admin menu. Another approach would be to expand the UEFI partition and install Porteus there.
It goes without asking that first you have to set up any Linux or FreeBSD on your system, preferable at least 2 different kinds, all tested and working prior wiping Windoze.

E.g. I have via my internal hard disk: One Puppy, One Tiny Core, and several Porteus. All tested, all working. :) Usually I only boot into Porteus, but Puppy and Tiny Core are such small live systems that in my book it never hurts to keep these around, just in case.

Of course, when the main MBR got corrupted, overwritten, or whatnot, none of these would boot, but then neither would any WIndoze unless your PC has a optical drive (subnotebooks nowadays come without any) and a working bootable Windoze CD-ISO or DVD-ISO at hand. And the later must more often than not created manually by the user since most Windoze-preinstalled PCs for some years now get shipped with SM-Witless pre-installed on the hard drive only but no bootable rescue and restore CD or DVD-disc given to the paying customer.

Like I said: my recommendation getting rid of windows only goes without saying is only true when
● the user no longer needs it because at least one Linux can do all the work he needs done
● the user has at least 2 different Linux or FreeBSD systems installed on the internal hard drive, better 3, all tested at least once per alternative
● the user has a bootable rescue system: either via CD-ROM or via USB thumbdrive that has at least gparted and all needed fsck and fdisk / cfdisk / sfdisk. :) And these external rescue systems all tested as well.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Post#17 by nanZor » 08 Nov 2021, 23:11

Ah, remember the glory-days of "boxed sets" in consumer electronic stores like Redhat, Slackware and so forth?

It we could go back to those days, and there was a boxed set of Porteus all glossy, with a CD and book inside. How cool would that be!

However these days it just usually means knowing the tricks of how to bootstrap Porteus (or any other linux). Which is SO EASY! Especially on modern machines! Many hats-off to the Porteus devs for making it bootable 99% of the time with not much trouble. Easy to bootstrap from another system to get that first "Golden" setup. Now you can throw your original bootstrap environment away. Not having to rely solely on Ventoy or specialized image burners for the most part puts Porteus at the top of the pack!

Heck, I've even built Porteus sticks on a Google Chromebook. Even though not intended for the Chromebook, but a different box.

The trick:
1) Download the Porteus iso for the machine architecture you need. (not the chromebook, but the machine across the room)

2) Rename the downloaded iso in the chromebook by changing the file extension from .iso to .bin

3) Use the built-in "Chromebook Restore" utility, but instead of letting it search for your specific chromebook image online, instead use "Local Image" and highlight your porteus.bin file.

The restore utility is actually just a "DD"er, and will dd the iso to your stick. Eject nicely, walk across the room to the other machine and enjoy!

Although the dd the restore facility is not absolutely needed on modern machines, eh ok, it still works.

TinyCore? I find Porteus to be an excellent boot host for that. I download only two distribution files from the X86_64 port (vmlinux64 and corepure64.gz), place them into my syslinux directory, edit the porteus.cfg with a menu entry to handle those, and when I feel like getting all TC, I boot that way using Porteus as the intial boot host.

Porteus - so bootstrappy to itself or other things - blows my mind.
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#18 by Rava » 19 Nov 2021, 23:00

nanZor thanks on the heads up of how to abuse a "Chromebook Restore" to dd a Porteus ISO to an USB stick, can come in handy when the only working machine (as in: working hardware, probably the other machines I want to use Porteus on have a Software malfunction e.g.*cough*broken SM-Witless*cough* - but when the hardware would not work at all not even Knoppix could help, nor could Porteus, nor qparted live, nor TC or Puppy or DSL…) is a Chromebook. :D

INFO
Due to getting off topic the rest of the original post by yours truly and the two replies by nanZor have been moved into a new thread: Tiny Core & Porteus
Cheers!
Yours Rava