Alternative to ePDFViewer

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
rchase
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 rc3 xfce

Post#1 by rchase » 10 Aug 2020, 13:58

I'm supposing that ePDFViewer's chiefest virtue is that it is lightweight -- it sure doesn't display .pdfs very well! It treats the Page Down key the same as the down arrow (which alone makes navigation more difficult), but for pages that do not fit the display, the scroll bar reflects the current position within the page (not the document). I found it impossible to scroll through a musical score smoothly without first setting the magnification at no more than 97% -- anything greater than that caused individual pages to be broken up. I suggest jettisoning this application if it can't be tweaked -- what is the lightest alternative that's useable?

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Post#2 by roadie » 10 Aug 2020, 14:37

I just went through a few different viewers and they all have their little quirks. I ended up using qpdfview, but it means taking on a bigger payload of files unless you're already using a desktop like Kde, or other Qt based applications. But as I said, they all have their way of doing things. I found the lightweight viewers to be more frustrating than I care to deal with, but adequate for most uses.

I have no experience in viewing music scores, so I can't say how well qpdfview would handle them. Probably the best way is to try a few and see what fits for you.

rchase
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 rc3 xfce

Post#3 by rchase » 10 Aug 2020, 18:15

I've not paid much attention to the differences, but I've noticed that scrolling through .pdfs has been generally problematic. What is being displayed shouldn't matter -- at 100% magnification, the entire page should fit within the window and there should be a means of displaying the next page with a single keystroke; as far as I can tell, ePDFViewer is incapable of doing this. Unless magnification is manually set at 97% or less, pages don't even fit the window. Porteus developers should replace it with something functional.

I see that qpdfview requires several libraries not in Porteus. I thought I'd try LibreOffice, but the latest version is missing a library it needs to open .pdfs.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Post#4 by fulalas » 10 Aug 2020, 21:39

Porteus 5 RC2 LXQt comes with qpdfview. You can give it a try.

But regarding epdfview, in RC2 it was compiled for GTK3 and I had to manually fix a scroll issue in the code. Do you know if this issue also happens in RC1 (which uses GTK2)? Also, if you could provide a sample file for us to test it would be nice :)

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 11 Aug 2020, 01:45

another option is to try firefox, it has pdf viewer capabilites when poppler is present(which it is)..
but yes, it's not like we haven't searched for alternatives, mostly they're either huge, dependent heavy or super minimal..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Kulle
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: v4.0 64bit Xfce

Post#6 by Kulle » 13 Aug 2020, 05:54

ePDFViewer
Disadvantage: Printing is not supported!

That's why I use evince
evince has a very good and fast search function.
My suggestion: evince for Porteus 5.0

babam
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0rc3 Xfce K6.1.1

Post#7 by babam » 13 Aug 2020, 07:04

Atril
Sorry, my English is bad.