Porteus 5 + Virtualbox - after some time running it stops for unknown reason, any ideas?

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
joejac
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

Porteus 5 + Virtualbox - after some time running it stops for unknown reason, any ideas?

Post#1 by joejac » 06 Feb 2020, 04:49

Hi,
After about 40 minutes up to 1 hour, the virtual machine stops, I can move the mouse but I cannot click on any icon and I have to force the VirtualBox shutdown. Before the shutdown, I check with Virtualbox and it reports 1 or 2% of CPU usage, 30% of memory usage, a small network peak and then no network activity. I have disabled energy saving options, the machine is never suspended. Any ideas?
Thanks and regards
joejac

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#2 by francois » 07 Feb 2020, 01:28

What type of porteus do you have installed? Is it hdd installed? Do you have save changes option on?

Or try another vbox build or version.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by francois » 10 Feb 2020, 13:14

It seems that vbox is not functional on porteus 5.0 rc. This will be surely adjusted for the final release. Please use porteus 4.0 to work with vbox.

Thanks.

joejac
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#4 by joejac » 13 Feb 2020, 14:55

Hello and thank you Francois, sorry for my delay to answer.
Francois, I have installed Porteus 5.0rc1 on the Virtual HD of a Virtualbox 6.1 Virtual Machine, Today I will run again the Porteus VM, since I need to run the Windows program, and I will inform if it freezes.

I have a question Francois, can I have a rolling Porteus, so I do not need to reinstall everything each time Porteus releases a new version?
If the answer is no, In case I need to make a new installation for the future releases, can I copy-paste all .xzm files from the old Porteus release from the modules folder to the modules folder of the new Porteus installation, and do nothing else besides the new installation to have all my old applications running fine in the new Porteus?

Thanks for your kind help.
Regards
Jose

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 14 Feb 2020, 08:18

joejac wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 14:55
can I copy-paste all .xzm files from the old Porteus release from the modules folder to the modules folder of the new Porteus installation, and do nothing else besides the new installation to have all my old applications running fine in the new Porteus?
if by "modules folder" you mean <virtual HD>/porteus/base , yes ...with caveat:
if changing the 000.kernel.xzm, you also have to change <virtual HD>/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz to match.
no guarantees any /changes will be 100% compatible with updates..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

joejac
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by joejac » 15 Feb 2020, 17:49

Thanks a lot ncmprhnsbl.
So then, Porteus can not be a rolling distro, and when a new version is delivered, the best approach is to make a new installation and to restore from backup the home directory with the users.
Regards
joejac

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by francois » 06 Mar 2020, 15:27

I confirm that it is not a rolling distro. However, as a rolling distro you have nemesis wich is based on porteus and operates over artix, a clone of archlinux. The advantage of nemesis is that it offers a wider variety of packages.

Have fun!