Unable to see porteus filesystem when booted on card

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
mudit.s
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 Xfce

Post#1 by mudit.s » 31 Jan 2020, 12:58

Hi,
I am booting porteus on the bootable sd card partition. But I am unable to see its filesystem on ubuntu or other linux machine when I mount my sd card on it.

I want to see my porteus filesystem contents ( Desktop, Downloads, etc, opt folders) apart from bootable partition folders (Boot, Porteus, EFI etc ) if I mount my card to Ubuntu machine. Right now I am not able to see that.

Any suggestions please?

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 31 Jan 2020, 22:58

if i'm understanding you correctly...
the porteus filesystem is contained within /porteus/base/{000-kernel.xzm,001-core.xzm,002-xorg.xzm,003-xfce.xzm and any other extra .xzms}
each .xzm(module) is an xz compressed squashfs fakeroot, much like a package, but in this case a bundle of packages, with extra configs and scripts.
when porteus boots, each module is extracted into ram in a loop mount, the layers of which create the running filesystem..
so, to "see" the porteus filesystem in ubuntu, you need to extract each module using: unsquashfs <module.xzm>
some caveats:
first copy the modules to somewhere(eg. /tmp or some work partition) because i don't think you'd want to do it on your sd card.
unsquashfs <module.xzm> outputs by default a folder named squashfs-root, rename it appropriately..
note that porteus has it's own scripts for extracting and compressing modules(xzm2dir, dir2xzm) and gui frontends for them in the filemanager, so it may be easier to extract everything to somewhere using porteus, to be viewed later with ubuntu..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44