(solved) INIT: Id "x1" respawning too fast

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

Post#1 by rych » 10 Jan 2020, 07:57

After trying the GIMP module gimp-2.10.6+deps-x86_64-kde-lx-xfce-ob-stripped.xzm, on loading a very large image, my whole Porteus 4.0 64 OpenBox system was frozen, no keyboard even, so I had to restart the computer by long pressing PowerOff button.

Now every time I boot (with an additional fsck cheatcode at the boot screen) it gets stuck at

Code: Select all

INIT: Id "x1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
I press Enter, login to root, and run startx manually. And it seem to work. However I have a feeling that somerthing remains wrong with my system. How should I fix it and bring back to normal? (And does it mean I can't use GIMP?)

UPDATE: Booting now goes through. I had to boot into a different USB, and check the problem USB unmounted file systems for errors. No errors were found (?) but now the problem seems to go away. Maybe fsck cheatcode isn't capable of repairing a not properly shutdown filesystem. Also a question remains, how can possibly GIMP freeze a linux system!? Will have to look for a friendlier image software then.

Kulle
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: v4.0 64bit Xfce

Post#2 by Kulle » 10 Jan 2020, 09:49

Hi rych,
exactly the same error occurs to me (init: Id "x1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes)
But only occasionally.
Look here: init: Id "x1" respawning too fast
I also have to do the following:
Press Enter, login to guest, run startx manually.
That's cumbersome!
But I have not yet found a solution to my problem

rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

Post#3 by rych » 11 Jan 2020, 04:32

Kulle, for me it's always (twice so far) a consequence of improper shutdown it seems. (And my USB has 2 partitions to complicate things, the 1st is NTFS). So I have another (porteus) USB to boot into, then plug the problematic one (say, /dev/sdc), unmount and run:

Code: Select all

e2fsck -vf /dev/sdc2
and similarly, check/fix other partiitions.

After that, booting into the problematic USB goes through. But I understand there can be many causes for this error, from the graphics driver to save.dat and what not.
Good luck,

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 11 Jan 2020, 04:45

Why an NTFS partition! :o FAT32 or exFAT are better choices for removable devices. Less overhead, no journaling, better performance.

And I encounter the boot problem if Windows isn't shutdown before booting to Porteus. I multiboot using Grub2Win.
Ed