BLUETOOTH

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
rchase
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 rc3 xfce

BLUETOOTH

Post#1 by rchase » 01 Dec 2019, 23:59

What's up with bluetooth? Fandom said it was going on his "to do" list -- three-and-a-half-years ago. I downloaded and merged the packages shown as runtime dependencies for "blueman"; the resulting module appears to work in KDE and I have uploaded it, but nothing happens in XFCE. What needs to be done to get bluetooth to work in XFCE (and the other flavors of Porteus)?

P.S. With respect, peristent problems getting hardware to function properly (as in Porteus disregarding display settings for years) or lack of support for hardware is the greatest detriment of the OS -- it's one thing to be trying to port software from other Linuxes, but problems with hardware are more than an annoyance.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

BLUETOOTH

Post#2 by Ed_P » 02 Dec 2019, 00:45

Fanthom is the admin of the Kiosk version of Porteus. If this posting is referring to that it should be in the Porteus Kiosk Edition section.

If it relates to the test version of Porteus 5.0 which was released 6 months ago it is still in development so there are indeed pieces missing and not working. Be patience. Maybe next year bluetooth will work in Porteus, if enough people are interested in it. Remember there's not a lot of people using their free time to develop this system. RL has priorities. :)
Ed

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

BLUETOOTH

Post#3 by rchase » 02 Dec 2019, 01:20

To the best of my knowledge, bluetooth has never worked, at least not in xfce -- it's common hardware. It was suggested years ago that kde was the most likely flavor to support bluetooth and I succeeded in composing a working module, which I have`posted; ncmprhnsbl has posted one for openbox. The question is what needs to be done to get bluetooth working in xfce and you aren't shedding any light on the issue. The developers set their own priorities -- I'm just pointing out that the issue has been hanging for years, as is demonstrated by fanthom's post on the subject years ago. Please search this forum for "bluetooth" and see for yourself.

jssouza
Legendary
Legendary
Distribution: Porteus x86 arm

BLUETOOTH

Post#4 by jssouza » 02 Dec 2019, 02:19

rchase, could you try using bluetooth from Mate or Cinnamon. Blueman is already installed there. Use either the "bluetooth" cheatcode during boot time or start bluetooth from Porteus Settings Center.
Only then start to search for bluetooth adapters from the menu.
If this still does not work, it might be a missing bluetooth driver/firmware for your hardware.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

BLUETOOTH

Post#5 by Ed_P » 02 Dec 2019, 04:40

You're right jssouza, Bluetooth is indeed an option in Porteus Settings Center on my Porteus 4 Cinnamon system.
Ed

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

BLUETOOTH

Post#6 by rchase » 03 Dec 2019, 05:07

I had forgotten that bluetooth support takes the form of a daemon activated either by a cheatcode or in the Settings Centre -- the Bluetooth Adapters application reports that none are installed (as opposed to warning that the daemon is not running). I was mistaken -- bluetooth works in KDE (,MATE, and Cinnamon?). The daemon is preesent in XFCE, but I have not been able to use bluetooth in it.
Last edited by rchase on 05 Dec 2019, 00:27, edited 3 times in total.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

BLUETOOTH

Post#7 by ncmprhnsbl » 03 Dec 2019, 05:21

rchase wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 05:07
The daimon is preesent in XFCE, but I have not been able to use bluetooth in it.
most likely missing a python part ... i'm close to getting on to it for you :D
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

BLUETOOTH

Post#8 by ncmprhnsbl » 03 Dec 2019, 06:55

here you go: test it out, if it works for you i'll add it to the bundles collection..
blueman-2.0.8-x86_64-xfce4.xzm
md5sum 532586b867497db0f9b3bc82638a76f7
so, be sure to have the daemon running either by cheatcode: bluetooth or in the settings centre >second tab at the bottom
on starting the bluetooth-manager ther will be window asking to start <i forget>service?or something .. agree to this..
there may also be an error window which was safe for me to dismiss ... my test by pairing my phone as media player worked no problem..
i'll look into making it a little more seamless..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

BLUETOOTH

Post#9 by rchase » 03 Dec 2019, 22:48

Thanks, I will test it now. I would suggest that the module be included in the XFCE iso or at the very least included in the modules distributed via ftp -- shouldn't have to undertake research in order to get common hardware working!

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

BLUETOOTH

Post#10 by rchase » 04 Dec 2019, 00:07

The module seems to work fine in XFCE -- thanks! I activated the daemon and then your module; when I opened Bluetooth Adapters, an error warned I might not be able to use the Bluetooth network (something about dbus), but I was able to change the adapter's visibility and then to connect with the Manager. Booting XFCE with your module in the /modules folder of a live Porteus USB and activating the daemon, no error appeared when starting the Bluetooth Adapters application and bluetooth worked. Please put this close to (if not in) the XFCE iso!