Releases

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
burdi01
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Slackware PartedMagic Xubuntu

Releases

Post#1 by burdi01 » 28 Mar 2019, 14:48

When experimenting for Simple install for users of non-Windows and non-Linux x86_64 systems I once more noted that the last Porteus release was on Apr 22, 2018. Since then I see some haphazard updates on http://dl.porteus.org/ and its mirrors, but no announcements.
As per Porteus-v4.0 is released! (Post by brokenman #64342) the "Core is based on Slackware current", but after almost a year one cannot say that Porteus is current still ...
Am I missing something?
Regards, Dick
:D

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Releases

Post#2 by nanZor » 23 Apr 2019, 19:42

I'll take a stab at it with my thoughts since nobody has responded in regards to release engineering ...

I'll cut the Porteus devs some slack (heh), since current in even Slackware does not mean stability (yes better than most). So if Porteus released on a rigid timescale from the current tree, they may have to deal with endless point-releases if major issues crop up depending on what PV does in the meantime.

Much of it may have to do with manpower. Frankly, since most free-software projects die on the vine after about 5 years, (dev turnover, boredom, ageing, real life etc) I'm quite thankful that they are still around and still releasing at all. I can wait for awhile.

What can we do in the meantime? Depending on skill level, we can replace kernels, compile and swap out busybox, build or update txz/xzm modules etc. Somewhat answering the question of "what if Porteus got hit by a bus?" type of thing.....

I think if we wanted more timely releases, then perhaps we shall all start donating, and donate often, to support a full-time team. :)
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Releases

Post#3 by Ed_P » 23 Apr 2019, 20:08

If you check the release dates of 3.1 and 3.2.2 and 4.0 here: Announcements you will see that Porteus is not an annual system and only based on the current release of Slackware at the time of the Porteus release.

That being said the Admin is working on a new release and the only thing that can be said about it is it will be released in the future. ;)
Ed

burdi01
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Slackware PartedMagic Xubuntu

Releases

Post#4 by burdi01 » 24 Apr 2019, 08:27

Porteus is ... only based on the current release of Slackware at the time of the Porteus release.
Ok, that answers my question.
Thx, and keep on the good work.
Regards, Dick
:D