upgrade Porteus by overwriting and merging

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

Post#1 by rych » 07 May 2018, 11:52

I have a good working set-up of Porteus 3.2.2 on my best USB stick and just want to upgrade it to Porteus v4.0 of the same configuration (x86_64, LXDE) while keeping the same boot method (don't want UEFI), and all my system and program settings.

Can I just copy the new system files over the old ones and expect it to boot, and most program modules to continue to work?

Or perhaps with some minimal edits, like transferring my cheatcodes to a new configuration file?

And, if it doesn't work or boot, would I be able to downgrade back to 3.2.2?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 07 May 2018, 13:49

rych wrote:
07 May 2018, 11:52
Can I just copy the new system files over the old ones and expect it to boot, and most program modules to continue to work?
A definite maybe.
Or perhaps with some minimal edits, like transferring my cheatcodes to a new configuration file?
That should work.
And, if it doesn't work or boot, would I be able to downgrade back to 3.2.2?
Absolutely. Just restore all the files from your backup. ;)

A better approach might be making a module of your 3.2.2 system's changes and then use it with a new 4.0 system to see the impact. That's what I did and there were a few things that I had to change but nothing dramatic.

(You might want to update your profile's Distribution.)
Ed

apollo
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: 4.0 XFCE, Manjaro

Post#3 by apollo » 07 May 2018, 14:59

I tried this method several times, it may work, but there´s chance it may not work. ;)
Sometimes the system didn´t boot after upgrading - i then had to delete my changes folder an everything was running again. Didn´t dig deeper what exactly was causing the problems.

As to the modules: it depends.
I guess most application modules will still work, but the may be hassle with modules containing libs that were required for the older version.