porteus core modules for wm/desktops

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
port
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux porteus 3.2.2 KDE

Post#1 by port » 06 Aug 2017, 09:24

I suppose base module for a window manager or desktop manager like 003-xfce.xzm includes all needed to run properly, I mean all files from that desktop (ie all files in kde distribution) or at least the most important ones (because maybe a selection is done to not include all distribution) but my question is if also includes files and specially binaries not regarded to the desktop itself.

What I would to get is a clean replacement of desktop modules, for example to have 003-xfce.xzm, 003-kde.xzm and 003-fluxbox.xzm in $PORTDIR/optional and simlink the one I want to use in $PORTDIR/modules (or $PORTDIR/base) and also changing from one to another on the fly just activating and deactivating.

For that reason I also would like to know what minimum files must be included in such a module, I suppose the minimum must be all files needed by the wm/desktop but maybe others are also needed, like slim.conf etc

for example, 003-xfce.xzm contains the xfce packages (things like xfdesktop-4.12.3-x86_64-2 oe xfwm4-4.12.3-x86_64-1) but also includes packages apparently not realted to xfce like:

Code: Select all

gparted-0.26.1-x86_64-1
imagemagick-6.9.4_9-x86_64-1
openldap-client-2.4.42-x86_64-1
epdfview-0.1.8-x86_64-2jay
I suppose they are needed by some xfce component but if the reason to include it is to provide a feature not included in xfce desktop (like display images or watching videos or pdf) I think it would be better not including it in core xfce module and split it into xfce-tools module or something like that, decoupling this way it would be easier to switch between desktop managers and also using the tools every user wants to perform this actions: if I like acrobat reader to read pdfs I can install it my own and use it in any desktop manager rather than being tied to the option chosen by the packager. Obviously this means every user should config certain tools in his desktop manager because the default tool may not being installed, but that's an advantage from my point of view

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 06 Aug 2017, 23:59

port wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 09:24
know what minimum files must be included in such a module, I suppose the minimum must be all files needed by the wm/desktop but maybe others are also needed, like slim.conf etc
pretty much, and slim itself of course..
(one way)to find out what else is included (that isnt part of a package) would be:
as root
1. extract(dir2xzm or rightclick>extract module) the module somwhere (POSIX compatible fs or /tmp if you have plenty of ram)
2. do

Code: Select all

ROOT=/path/to/extracted/module removepkg <list of all the packages in the module>
3.whats left should be anything added that isnt part of a package
or get the build scripts and look at the relevant 'TREE' file : Re: What license and where are the sources? (Post by brokenman #49401)
similarly, if you want remove anything you dont want, use the removepkg command for that .. and installpkg for something you want to include..
(there is also commands: extractpkg and upgradepkg) (bear in mind: some things you dont want may be in 002-xorg)
(other useful commands: ldd /usr/bin/<foo> (to check for missing libs) and usm -d (to check for missing deps)
port wrote:
I think it would be better not including it in core xfce module and split it into xfce-tools module or something like that
this is a fair enough idea, and has been explored to some degree in the Nemesis(arch based) side project(in hiatis) with its base modules thus:
00-kernel 001-core 002-gui 002-xtra 003-shared 003-lxde 003-lxde-xtra (or something like that)
from what i am aware of present porteus development, this type of structure isnt a priority, and development direction has a certain enertia..

that said, thing with porteus is that it come with the tools necessary to customise it to however you like..
for example, you boot without 003-<DE> (cheatcode: login=root noload=003 ) , you get a openbox session with xterm, mc, nmtui(for wifi) and usm to get what you want..

Added in 9 minutes 59 seconds:
port wrote:
simlink the one I want to use in $PORTDIR/modules
what i use is the load=<module/string> boot line cheatcode that parses the optional folder (and the noload=<module/string> that inhibits modules in base or modules..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44