Cheatcode questions

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Cheatcode questions

Post#1 by Ed_P » 21 Apr 2017, 23:36

1. Is there a cheatcode for setting the screen's resolution? I tried resolution= and it doesn't work.

The problem is my newer notebook with the bigger 13" screen is harder to read than my old netbook with a 11" screen because the resolution is 1920x1080 verses the netbook's 1366x768.

I have a script that executes xrandr and sets the resolution to 1600x900 which helps but if the notebook goes into sleep mode the reactivated screen is segregated into a main window and adjoining side windows and basically doesn't work so I have to alt+sysreq+F to restart the desktop.

2. Is there a cheatcode to turn off the changes= cheatcode? If changes=/porteus/porteussave.dat is in play is there a nochanges cheatcode to turn it off?

While that sounds crazy it's more a boot menu manipulation problem. A default set for a main menu carries down to submenus, some of which don't want/need the default cheatcode.

:)
Ed

Evan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Distribution: *

Re: Cheatcode questions

Post#2 by Evan » 21 Apr 2017, 23:55

xrandr is nasty and fuzzy.

If your still running Cinnamon 64 type font in search and up the text scaling factor to 1.4 and that will enlarge everything on the dekstop.

If your running Firefox then type about:config in the address bar and then in search at the top put layout.css.devPixelsPerPx and change that to something between 1.1 to 1.4.

You'll have to experiment with those values as it all depends on your screens DPI , if you have a ultra HiDPI you might have to even go as high as 2.0 but at least it will be large without being fuzzy , or less fuzzy if your running Nouveau drivers as they are horrid to start with on HiDPI. :)

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#3 by ncmprhnsbl » 22 Apr 2017, 00:12

screens run at less than native resolution make me twitch :crazy:
i prefer to set the font size...
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Ed_P » 22 Apr 2017, 04:08

Evan wrote:If your still running Cinnamon 64 type font in search and up the text scaling factor to 1.4 and that will enlarge everything on the dekstop.

If your running Firefox then type about:config in the address bar and then in search at the top put layout.css.devPixelsPerPx and change that to something between 1.1 to 1.4.
Thank you Evan, those ideas helped. :friends:

But I'm still using a magnification of 133-150% to read this page in Firefox. Is there a default font size for webpages?
Ed

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 22 Apr 2017, 04:44

firefox>preferences>content>fonts&colors
and the advanced settings part set your size(s) and untick the "Allow pages to choose there own fonts"
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Ed_P » 22 Apr 2017, 06:05

ncmprhnsbl wrote:firefox>preferences>content>fonts&colors
and the advanced settings part set your size(s) and untick the "Allow pages to choose there own fonts"
Thanks ncmprhnsb but I still have to set the zoom to 133-150 to read this page.

Default font: size 16

Allow pages to choose there own fonts: unticked

Proportional: size 16
Monospace: size 14
Minimum: size 14
Ed

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#7 by Evan » 22 Apr 2017, 07:02

Ed_P wrote: but I still have to set the zoom to 133-150 to read this page.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fi ... _title_bar

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... r-plus-sma

Use the above addon to remove the wasted space at the top of Firefox and choose small icons. I'm currently on Windows but i think the setting is in < Look and feel 2 > and the option is called < small toolbars and buttons >.

Then in Firefox address bar type about:config and set layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 1.5 or upwards until you get the correct page size , the tiny icons that you set with the above addon should now look a normal size and webpages should fit correctly without having to zoom.

Code: Select all

layout.css.devPixelsPerPx
Once you get close to the correct size you can tweak it with fraction numbers , for example if 1.8 is too small and 1.9 is too big you can fine tweak it with 1.81 , 1.82 and so on until you get the correct webpage size.
ncmprhnsbl wrote:firefox>preferences>content>fonts&colors
That was the original way of doing it before Mozilla added the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx setting so everything scaled correctly for high resolution monitors , So you'll have to reverse any of these changes first otherwise everything will be out of whack and webpages will break with text over images and such , so put it back to the way it was when you first installed Firefox before trying the addon and the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx setting.

If that made any sense. :D

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#8 by Evan » 22 Apr 2017, 07:53

layout.css.devPixelsPerPx -1.0
Forgot to say that the standard setting has a minus before the number , make sure you remove it so it's 1.0 or above to enable it correctly so it then scales independently of the desktop settings.

Example:

layout.css.devPixelsPerPx -1.8
This is incorrect.

layout.css.devPixelsPerPx 1.8
This is the correct syntax.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Ed_P » 22 Apr 2017, 16:16

Evan wrote:

layout.css.devPixelsPerPx -1.0
Forgot to say that the standard setting has a minus before the number , make sure you remove it so it's 1.0 or above to enable it correctly so it then scales independently of the desktop settings.
Bingo!! :Yahoo!: That's what I was doing wrong. :x

I was initially concerned about the ability to add plugins to Firefox since Mozilla is dropping support for that but realized when they worked that the 5.2 ESR version supported plugins still.

So yes, screen and Firefox are MUCH more readable now. :Bravo:

Thank you guys. :beer:
Ed

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#10 by Evan » 22 Apr 2017, 22:45

Sadly apart from the new Wayland and GTK 3 themes Linux is not very High resolution / Hidpi friendly so occasionally you'll get webpages that break and Brokenmans Menus do not upscale correctly. :(

You might have to temporary lower the desktop font slightly when you use his Menus so you can read the text in porteus system settings for example but most of the rest of the desktop is OK in cinnamon when upscaled.
Last edited by Evan on 23 Apr 2017, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#11 by brokenman » 23 Apr 2017, 01:00

and Brokenmans Menus do not upscale correctly.
Which menus are they? The gtkdialog ones? If so, then sorry but not much I can do about that. It is an upstream problem.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun

Post#12 by Evan » 23 Apr 2017, 08:50

Nearly all of the Cinnamon desktop upscales correctly it's just the Porteus Menus for systems changes and settings that break.

It's no biggy as you can downscale and click the correct icon and then upscale again as a work around as it's not like it's a menu that you use very often apart from when you first setup and make lots of changes.

jssouza
Legendary
Legendary
Distribution: Porteus x86 arm

Post#13 by jssouza » 05 Jul 2017, 14:29

brokenman wrote:Which menus are they? The gtkdialog ones? If so, then sorry but not much I can do about that. It is an upstream problem.
gtkdialog version 0.8.4 built with gtk+3 support works fine on hidpi screens.