One question about the copy2ram should be allowed...

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
iVAN
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Windows / Linux / Porteus

One question about the copy2ram should be allowed...

Post#1 by iVAN » 18 Oct 2016, 16:20

I interrogated with the ramsystem a bit ...
My Question is, could be there a method to a mixed copy2ram System...?
Par Example: I have 8 or 16GB of Ram, enough for now and hopefully for the next (n) Years... :Rose:
..To load in my case the basis system with modules to the ram, not more than 1GB and keep some other modules out of this ... as defined all my /Home-dirs that want to load as a Module normal for opening the /porteus/changes again and not to the Ramdisk . In other words I have 8GB Ram, in the first 1GB is the whole core-System, Basis and my defined Modules, so I have left 7GB for the Linux System and when I look in my Homedir, I have the whole memory of the Storing-Device left that is depending to /porteus/changes...!
understood me? 8) I am still a real performance fan..!!! :angel:

..and keep in mind, the Marketing Department of "Volkswagen" is much better than its Management... :shock:
..making a Porteus Module is difficult. No! It`s Easy! Difficult! No, Eaasy! Difficult! Eaaasyyy! Diffiiiiiicult! Easy! DIFFICULT!!!!! EEEEAAASSSSYYYYY! :O: DIIIFFIIIICUUUULT! :O: ........................ :wall: :wall: :wall:

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: One question about the copy2ram should be allowed...

Post#2 by francois » 19 Oct 2016, 01:35

You mean the research and design department of Volkswagen. :oops:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#3 by Bogomips » 19 Oct 2016, 11:50

If you use copy2ram everything selected will be loaded into ram. There are three boot parameters (cheatcodes) available to you: load (selecting modules from optional folder), rammod(modules to be loaded into ram), and noload (deselecting from final selection). Please refer to website.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

iVAN
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by iVAN » 20 Oct 2016, 07:32

Bogomips wrote:If you use copy2ram everything selected will be loaded into ram. There are three boot parameters (cheatcodes) available to you: load (selecting modules from optional folder), rammod(modules to be loaded into ram), and noload (deselecting from final selection). Please refer to website.
.So if I would use copy2ram everything goes to ram, so I have use rammod for all my System-Modules, noload with my Basis-Homedir.xzm and changes=/porteus, I would have a mixed system? Makes sense, I will try that by time again....thanks... :)

Okay I tried, in my EFI refind.conf I have now something like this:

Code: Select all

add_options "changes=/porteus copy2ram ramsize=50% rammod=001;002;003;004;099;multi;compat32;60;61;81;83;90;91;92;93;94;95;96;98;Locales;NV370 load=97;User01;devel;OpenJRE;OpenOffice;Print;crippled kmap=de,us utc"

bash-4.3$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 8157572 kB
MemFree: 4282240 kB <----
MemAvailable: 5613508 kB
Buffers: 302388 kB
Cached: 2133324 kB <---

This looks right... :O:

but KDE-System-Monitor shows me Memory 0.70 Gib of 7.8 Gib free? Should this not be something like0.70 Gib of 4.5 Gib free...?
Last edited by iVAN on 20 Oct 2016, 08:23, edited 4 times in total.
..making a Porteus Module is difficult. No! It`s Easy! Difficult! No, Eaasy! Difficult! Eaaasyyy! Diffiiiiiicult! Easy! DIFFICULT!!!!! EEEEAAASSSSYYYYY! :O: DIIIFFIIIICUUUULT! :O: ........................ :wall: :wall: :wall:

iVAN
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by iVAN » 20 Oct 2016, 07:35

francois wrote:You mean the research and design department of Volkswagen. :oops:
No I meant the Marketing and Advertisment, the ones who let Spock driving the Highway and made the laughing Horses about Parking Problems.... :wink: