What license and where are the sources?

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
burdi01
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Slackware PartedMagic Xubuntu

What license and where are the sources?

Post#1 by burdi01 » 08 Oct 2016, 09:49

What license is Porteus distributed with (where can I find the pertinent statement)?
And, assuming the license is an [F]OSS one, where can I find the sources (the upstream sources as well as the Porteus build procedures, and what about Porteus-developed features)?
Kind regards, Dick
:D

Edit: To clarify what I am looking for I changed my "... the license is an FOSS one ..." phrase into "... the license is an [F]OSS one ...".

Edit2: Again to clarify what I am looking for I changed my "... the sources" phrase into "... the sources (the upstream sources as well as the Porteus build procedures, and what about Porteus-developed features)".
Last edited by burdi01 on 08 Oct 2016, 16:46, edited 4 times in total.

fullmoonremix

Re: What license and where are the sources?

Post#2 by fullmoonremix » 08 Oct 2016, 10:22

The Porteus... GNU/ Linux distribution is a Open-source software distro. That meaning is based
on Bruce Peren's... Richard Stallman's and Linus Tovald's Permissive software licence interpretations.

In many interviews according to Richard Stallman's strictest interpretation...
the GPL was NOT intended to be combined with permissive licenses.
...eg.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-sou ... point.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc

Bruce Perens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHM9NmcNv8

But it is possible to make a Free and open-source software Porteus.
Perhaps when I finish my current project I will do a FOSS/FLOSS ( Copyleft ) derivative.

Philosophy Mode: "on"...
Fact... Richard Stallman is the real father of what is comically called "Linux" (it's actually "GNU's-Not-Unix"/Linux).

Here is Linus Tolvalds unfortunately dismissing Richard Stallman's legacy @ this absurd award ceremony...
(see... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDxMJQLXmBE )

I agree totally with Richard's impractical unrealistic philosophy.
However... fully implementing the GNU General Public License is easier said than done.

In regard to source code...
The way I would acquire the source code would be to extract a given
module then go to /var/log/packages and read the package descriptions.

Then I would go to the respective sites and download the source code.
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 09 Oct 2016, 14:18, edited 35 times in total.

burdi01
Shogun
Shogun

Post#3 by burdi01 » 08 Oct 2016, 16:45

@fullmoonremix: From my "joined" date you could have derived that I am not new to Porteus (and Linux for that matter). To indicate that I am not looking for an essay on F[L]OSS I amended on my initial questions.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 08 Oct 2016, 20:58

author: Porteus Community
first stable (Porteus-1.0) release: 20 Jun 2011
some extra info can be found on Porteus wikipedia page: Porteus (operating system)

license (/boot/docs/Licence.txt) says:

Code: Select all

Porteus comes with no guarantees or warranties of any sorts,
either written or implied.

Porteus is released under GPL. Check GNU_GPL file for more details.
Individual packages in the distribution may come with their own licences.

http://www.porteus.org
non GPL licenses for (very few) packages can be found under /usr/docs directory.
everything else is GPL including our own work (tools, scripts, etc).

Until I get time to collate and upload the source code into a presentable manner you can get it all here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vh60g0z8w9mqb ... ar.gz?dl=0

This does not include the slackware packages which you will need to procure on your own.
everyone can modify and/or redistribute Porteus without objections.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fullmoonremix

Post#5 by fullmoonremix » 08 Oct 2016, 22:24

I am not aware of how much you know or don't. And a membership date is not a clear indicator of knowledge (or lack thereof).
For instance my real membership date is 09/14 and I have over 800 posts in 2 different accounts (that technically makes me a "Warlord" NOT a "Shogun").

My statement only reflects (in the absence of clarification) how I perceive the topic and my perspective.
Also... my forum statements are usually linked and clearly explained to avoid what you see in my post signature below.

Basically... context is NOT an essay or a lecture it is clarification of my point of view.
My responses in the forum are as much reflections as they are fact or even answers (hence... "Philosopher Mode").

Particularly in this thread which as posted does not appear to exactly present as "cut and dry".

My responses are also not solely directed @ a thread author or those who comment.
Any topic in the forum can raise an issue. This topic (licensing) raises the issue of the GPL.

What should be understood is Porteus has over 3000 members (and numerous visitors) any of which could be viewing this topic and it's commentary.

The information I share in my posts are for the consumption of the entire community not
just simply a commentator or thread's author regardless of their knowledge (or lack thereof).

I have forgotten more than many will learn... yet after over 35yrs of computing
it still never ceases to surprise me how much I still don't fully understand.

Which is why I find it to be essential to always preface my commentary.
I hope this puts into context the commentary that I posted which I have also edited.

If you (or anyone else) has concerns regarding my posts I warmly encourage and welcome you to PM me so they can be addressed.
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 09 Oct 2016, 13:59, edited 2 times in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 09 Oct 2016, 00:31

fullmoonremix, the post was clear in it's requirements.
What license is Porteus distributed with (where can I find the pertinent statement)?
Once again, please refrain from posting those useless prefaces followed by opinionated history lessons full of out-linked references. They often rub people the wrong way and could be seen as somewhat belittling to the original poster, as in this case.

When you post in this format, you are not doing yourself any favors and, in my opinion, you are inviting friction. Your prefaces will do nothing to protect you from people with opposing opinions posting their distaste which escalates into a flame war. There are plenty of other forums where you are free to debate the ethos of licencing.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

burdi01
Shogun
Shogun

Post#8 by burdi01 » 09 Oct 2016, 08:40

@brokenman: Thank you for providing the info and scripts.