UEFI Booting Porteus

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
rchase
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 rc3 xfce

UEFI Booting Porteus

Post#1 by rchase » 08 Jul 2016, 16:35

How can I UEFI boot Porteus as a frugal installation? On my Kangaroo (Atom Z5-x8500), I have an internal eMMC (/dev/mmcblk0p*), a microSD (/dev/mmcblk1p*), and USB drives. The Porteus installer ignores both the eMMC and SD drives entirely. Creating a Porteus folder in the SYSTEM partition of the eMMC and placing Porteus' EFI folder within it had no effect on the boot options. There seems to be some problem with Linuxes (on my hardware and many other people's) such that none I've tried will boot successfully from the USB 3 slot without pulling out the drive mid-boot and replacing it -- I installed Xubuntu twice and Remix OS to USB drive without being able to boot, then I read the suggestion to re-plug the drive; Remix then proceeded to boot, but I consider this unacceptable in order to run Linux off USB. I would prefer to have Porteus sharing the 32GB (GPT-partitioned) eMMC with Windows 10 (on which I successfully installed and ran Remix) or on the microSD, (from which I have successfully run Xubuntu).

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: UEFI Booting Porteus

Post#2 by Ed_P » 08 Jul 2016, 19:03

I'm not sure what a frugal Porteus installation is but:

I boot a Porteus USB drive on a UEFI system using the steps described here:

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4632&p=33638#p33604

An option for adding a Grub2 menu to your Windows system could be the Grub2Win app. Grub2 supports EFI. I use it also.
Ed

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#3 by rchase » 08 Jul 2016, 19:24

Ed_P wrote:I'm not sure what a frugal Porteus installation is but:

I boot a Porteus USB drive on a UEFI system using the steps described here:

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4632&p=33638#p33604

An option for adding a Grub2 menu to your Windows system could be the Grub2Win app. Grub2 supports EFI. I use it also.
The documentation for Porteus describes installations to hard drive as "frugal". It isn't responsive to refer me back to the post about installing to USB when I have asked about installing to hard drive. Is Grub2Win the only option? I certainly don't want to add a bootloader that neither Windows nor Porteus use unless I have to -- there's nothing wrong with my machine's EFI booting, so far as I know.

trinidad
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.1 Xfice

Post#4 by trinidad » 10 Jul 2016, 13:26

Some OEM laptop hardware shipped new with Windows, and broken or incomplete EFI firmware. To work around this, Windows came configured to boot from the removable media channel. You may have to remove windows boot from the r-m channel for linux distros to boot from USB. However windows will probably not boot afterwards, and you will have to add the r-m channel back in for Windows from grub EFI after linux is installed. This was common to some Windows 8 OEM firmware. There is no firmware fix for most of the OEM's where this was common. I have yet to find a list of specific OEM EFI firmware problems, though Toshiba and Samsung are two that I know.

Trinidad

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#5 by francois » 12 Jul 2016, 23:15

You can install porteus on the same device as xubuntu, which should be on linux file system. Porteus will not work on ntfs, do you install windows on linux filesystem? What is your bootloader for xubuntu, grub2?

If you insist on installing on ntfs consider unetbootin. But I am not sure that it works UEFI or even windows 8:
https://unetbootin.github.io/
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4275

You will have to adapt the cheatcode for the menu entry for more recent porteus syuntax.

I would be glad if it could still work.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by francois » 13 Jul 2016, 00:25

For grub2, here is my menu entry in //etc/grub.d/40_custom:

Code: Select all

menuentry "porteus on sdb6 64bit porteus 3.1  XFCE" {
set root=(hd1,2)
linux /64bit_v31/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/dev/sdb2/64bit_v31 extramod=/64bit_v31/xfce changes=EXIT:/64bit_v31/xfce   login=root
initrd /64bit_v31/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
}
Here I prefer that porteus boots with xfce module in the /64bit_v31/xfce folder instead of /64bit_v31/porteus/base folder as normal. I like to use the three desktop with one porteus installation. I imagine that you understand what I mean.

Do not forget to perform:

Code: Select all

update-grub

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#7 by rchase » 13 Jul 2016, 02:02

francois wrote:Porteus will not work on ntfs, do you install windows on linux filesystem? ... If you insist on installing on ntfs ...
I've never tried to use NTFS for Porteus, nor would I! There has been no reference to NTFS in this thread; I use ext4 for Porteus. I have no Xubuntu installation; it would take up too much room on my 32GB eMMC and is a bit slow running from SD -- I want to use Porteus instead, installing it to eMMC or to SD card; Porteus' installer does not offer either device as an option, just USB drives. Can the extant /EFI folder be used and refind.cfg modified so that the machine's native UEFI boot sees and boots Porteus on eMMC or SD?

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by francois » 13 Jul 2016, 03:10

Ed has been doing someu uefi job. But for sure brokenman and fanthom the developers would be able to answer. Brokenman is unavailable for a few weeks, and fanthom we will see. With patience of some work, here maybe Ed will want to do some extra effort, you may come with some solution before the arrival of the developers.

Courage!

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#9 by rchase » 13 Jul 2016, 07:14

I completely understand why Porteus seems a bunch of loose ends as well as a tantalizingly useable OS; UEFI installation to other media than a USB drive is just another one. Any idea why the old icon sets (Faenza and Faenza-Dark) aren't fully compatible with rc4? I dislike Paper very much, but a few icons no longer display properly or are null when the Faenza and Faenza-Dark folders from rc3 are placed in /usr/share/icons and one of those sets selected in Appearances, notably the Pulse Audio plugin (which is null) and the Network connection icon (the icon is blank). I hope Brokenman restores them -- Paper is obnoxious; I don't want all my icons to be several shades of washed-out blue!

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#10 by ncmprhnsbl » 13 Jul 2016, 07:52

rchase wrote: but a few icons no longer display properly or are null
relogging in sometimes works for networkmanager or.. maybe.. run cache-module to update the icon cache?
brokenman had to do some tweaking to faenza.. but theses should be present since you copied from rc3....
EDIT: relogging in works for me...
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by francois » 13 Jul 2016, 10:06

I think that you have been on this forum for some time and that you understand the reality of this forum: we represent a very small community and some of us have the IT skills that they have (in my case very few). You know that Linux skills are badly needed on this forum. You can invest yourself more substantially if you want. 8)

I don't know how to interpret your message. Could you clarify?
bunch of loose ends as well as a tantalizingly useable OS;

fullmoonremix

Post#12 by fullmoonremix » 14 Jul 2016, 20:02

There is a Coreboot UEFI implementation.

I'm waiting for new hardware. When up and running I will provide a tutorial on Coreboot/Tianocore.
(see... https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore. ... FI_payload )

This is a highly secure solution to firmware exploits which is installed using Flashrom on new hardware.
Recently... there where concerns (misconceptions?) regarding Coreboot. The tutorial will resolve that.

Posted by 73.150.85.78 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by francois » 15 Jul 2016, 02:57

Here is jack proposition based on a post on the manjaro forum:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-make ... hines/3292
lsblk
dd if=/mnt/sda5/isos/Porteus-XFCE-v3.2rc4-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M oflag=nocache,sync && sync

Sorry. It does not work.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#14 by francois » 17 Jul 2016, 00:27

@rchase:
I have split the thread with your last post:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=6065

Sorry if the title does not fit your mind set. You can change it to what you think is best. :wink:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#15 by Ed_P » 17 Jul 2016, 00:51

francois I think you mean Dis-satisfaction.
Ed