KDE5 Dolphin Video Thumbnails

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
jamie81
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.2rc

KDE5 Dolphin Video Thumbnails

Post#1 by jamie81 » 04 Jul 2016, 15:44

Hello. Ive been hacking around trying to get video thumbnails in Dolphin on the Porteus 3.2rc4 x64 release. I've tried to find a way to compile ffmpegthumbs as most google results say to do. I run into many problems and borked the system once when trying this route. I got the system back up so thats no problem.

I then decided to see if I could maybe try using ffmpegthumbs and the various files set up on an Arch Antergos install I have, which does show thumbnails for videos. I have had only slight success in that I managed to get the option showing in the Dolphin settings(Previews) for ffmpegthumbs. I set that to on.

I copied over the executable into the "usr/bin" folder as it was on the Arch install. I also added the correct file into the "usr/share/thumbnailers". No luck though on the video previews yet.

I knew it would be a long shot copying from a different distro, but was hoping to have some luck. Is it possible the permissions could be not right, or is there more I need to do?

If anyone knows how to get this going that would be great as I dont want to give up, I rarely do, but Im out of ideas. Any ideas or if anyone knows exactly what to do please give me a hand. Im sure there are others who would like the video thumbnails working in Dolphin KDE5. Thanks in advance, I appreciate it greatly :D

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Re: KDE5 Dolphin Video Thumbnails

Post#2 by wread » 04 Jul 2016, 21:09

@jamie81
The modules you need can you download from http://http://alien.slackbook.org/ktown ... lications/.
They are "dolphin-plugins-16.04.2-x86_64-1alien.txz" and "kdegraphics-thumbnailers-16.04.2-x86_64-1alien.txz" (they mus be converted to xzm for Porteus!)
you can check if you miss any of them (or both) by looking into /mnt/live/memory/images.

Good luck!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!