SSL dosen't work for most of apps [Solved kinda]

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
tayko
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 / x64 / Gnome

Post#1 by tayko » 02 May 2023, 18:32

Hi, I have tried a lot of things to fix this but it seems to be almost imposible to me.
First off all, I had got messeges from wget like "Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority", "Cannot verify {URL}'s certificate". I've found the solution, I download cacert.pem certificate file and then create .wgetrc and write the location to the file. But then I've noticed that curl and git has the same problem and fix them in the same way.
*As far as I understood the problem is openssl.
There's a lot of other programs that use it (e.g. cargo) and all with the same problem (except Firefox, it works somehow).
I tried to do update-ca-certificates, I installed package with ca-certificates, nothing helps.
Maybe porblem is with my kernel I have version 6.2.12.

*Here's my openssl info, maybe it'll help.

Code: Select all

OpenSSL 1.1.1t  7 Feb 2023
built on: Tue Feb  7 19:58:13 2023 UTC
platform: linux-x86_64
options:  bn(64,64) md2(char) rc4(16x,int) des(int) blowfish(ptr) 
compiler: gcc -fPIC -pthread -m64 -Wa,--noexecstack -Wall -O3 -DOPENSSL_USE_NODELETE -DL_ENDIAN -DOPENSSL_PIC -DOPENSSL_CPUID_OBJ -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT5 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_GF2m -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM -DSHA512_ASM -DKECCAK1600_ASM -DRC4_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DAESNI_ASM -DVPAES_ASM -DGHASH_ASM -DECP_NISTZ256_ASM -DX25519_ASM -DPOLY1305_ASM -DZLIB -DNDEBUG
OPENSSLDIR: "/etc/ssl"
ENGINESDIR: "/usr/lib64/engines-1.1"
Seeding source: os-specific
*UPDATE
I tried

Code: Select all

openssl s_client -connect {URL}:443
command and it works normal. Maybe the problem is not with openssl but someting else.
But I still don't know what is causing the problem and how to fix it.

tayko
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 / x64 / Gnome

Post#2 by tayko » 04 May 2023, 09:35

It's worked after I did update-ca-certificates --fresh command from root but now I have to do it every time the system was rebooted.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#3 by beny » 04 May 2023, 14:42

hi, with porteus5 xfce every boot we have the check and upgrade of the ca-certificates if you use the init3 txt mode you can see if your system do it,if not you can write a script that start at boot with what you need