[TUTORIAL]fix glxgears or glxinfo if error exists

Nemesis related tutorials and docs
Forum rules
Please only post tutorials and HOWTOs in here. It should not be a discussion area.
aus9

[TUTORIAL]fix glxgears or glxinfo if error exists

Post#1 by aus9 » 20 Jan 2016, 12:40

Credits
ncmprhnsbl

Introduction to Post one
Members may have read this before downloading Nemesis or afterwards. Its the afterwards that leads to two main permutations
variant one ) They failed to update thru pman or pacman or applet
variant two ) They have updated mhwd or libgl , received an error message they did not understand.....see Post two for that discussion

Note this tutorial has nothing to do with choosing another video driver package specific to your chipset. If you have a graphical screen and working keyboard and mouse you are at least halfway there. If you have no graphical screen or incorrect input devices please start a new thread as answers will vary due to different hardware please.

So first we open a terminal and try to discover if our current system is correctly configured for the Xorg environment.

with root powers means if you login as guest either prefix each command below {with the exception of step (3)} with sudo or gain root powers for that session without worrying about using the root's environment settings by

Code: Select all

sudo su
If you already login as root you have root powers and use commands "as is"

glxgears
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
Verdict on clean install boot up is NO but we are half way there.

Start Fixing
Now if you have already done (1) leap to (2) and if you have done (2) leap to (3)

1) setup-pman with root powers, is the top command and (2) the bottom 2 commands in next code box.
2) fixup dcadec with root powers

setup-pman

rm -rf /usr/lib/libdcadec.so.0
pacman -S dcadec
I recommend you do not try to make dcadec a module please.

3) Now we attempt to fix glx stuff with root powers

mhwd-gpu --setgl mesa
killall Xorg
At this point you will return to the login screen. This is expected. So login as normal meaning if you login as root do so
otherwise login as guest.....then open a terminal and repeat

glxgears
It should now run. As per image. This image has a cheat in it. glxgears should run with a Frame Per Second count roughly the same as your monitor refresh rate.
Those high numbers you see....is because I used a timed screen shot using mtpaint. Nothing to worry about...its all good.

Note that its a terminal and a popup box that I positioned over the terminal for those who have never run glxgears before.
I have not shown a screen shot of glxinfo as its too large.

OFFTOPIC
Members should now update their system

4) Now you can update your system either thru update applet, by pman or by pacman commands.

a) applet or pacman are the same thing and will never offer modules
b) pman always offers modules see your /config/modules to tweak settings
c) For those who prefer lots of modules there are two main permutations
i) merged module with the main package and its dependencies
ii) un-merged modules so they are always separate module names

At some point in the future those who chose (ii) will find duplicate package names in their modules dir.
At some point in the future those who chose (i) may find dependency issues

That discussion belongs on another thread as well.

The best of luck on running glxgears

aus9

Re: [TUTORIAL]fix glxgears or glxinfo if error exists

Post#2 by aus9 » 20 Jan 2016, 12:40

post two

First lets explain how it happened to me, as it may happen to you this way as well? I cheated and chose to use the update applet which is a front end to pacman and so does not create modules.
When you run the applet a little terminal with smaller font that what I am used to, opens and various messages scroll by.

If there is an error an updates can not occur such as if you tried to do dcadec without using my fix or a similar fix using pman first......the updates fail. But if they succeed and you have not paid attention to the messages you are likey to have missed one or both of these messages....space truncated and made into 2 code boxs

root / # pacman -S mhwd
warning: mhwd-0.5.6-7 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
Packages (1) mhwd-0.5.6-7
Total Download Size:   0.07 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.32 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB
:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages ...
 mhwd-0.5.6-7-x86_64                                       71.1 KiB   198K/s 00:00 [################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                     [################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                   [################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                        [################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                  [################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                [################################################] 100%
(1/1) reinstalling mhwd                                                            [################################################] 100%
Using default
Default lib32 support: true
libGl and libglx symlinks are invalid!
Falling back to default...
libGl: '/usr/lib/mesa/libGL.so.1.2.0'
libGLESv1: '/usr/lib/mesa/libGLESv1_CM.so.1.1.0'
libGLESv2: '/usr/lib/mesa/libGLESv2.so.2.0.0'
libEGL: '/usr/lib/mesa/libEGL.so.1.0.0'
libglx: '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.xorg'
==> use mhwd-gpu to set catalyst as default: 'mhwd-gpu --setgl catalyst'
==> use mhwd-gpu to set mesa as default: 'mhwd-gpu --setgl mesa'

root / # pacman -S libgl
warning: mhwd-0.5.6-7 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
Packages (1) mhwd-0.5.6-7
Total Installed Size:  0.32 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB
:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                     [################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                   [################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                        [################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                  [################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                [################################################] 100%
(1/1) reinstalling mhwd                                                            [################################################] 100%
Using default
Default lib32 support: true
libGl and libglx symlinks valid...
==> use mhwd-gpu to set catalyst as default: 'mhwd-gpu --setgl catalyst'
==> use mhwd-gpu to set mesa as default: 'mhwd-gpu --setgl mesa'

And to repeat the reason I was tricked is because that is a message about my (and maybe your config setup) and package has installed so the applet stops being red colour.

You can still miss these messages using a a terminal with pman as you may have a large number of updates at once something like 68 packages shows as needing update at time of writing. That list will grow larger and pman users will miss it as they can't scroll up high enough to catch it.

aus9

Re: [TUTORIAL]fix glxgears or glxinfo if error exists

Post#3 by aus9 » 21 Jan 2016, 04:59

However some of the error messages do appear in /var/log/pacman.log if you used pacman. If you use pman they appear in same log filename