[TUTORIAL] wi-fi graphical setup for v 3.5

Nemesis related tutorials and docs
Forum rules
Please only post tutorials and HOWTOs in here. It should not be a discussion area.
aus9

[TUTORIAL] wi-fi graphical setup for v 3.5

Post#1 by aus9 » 22 Dec 2015, 06:11

Credits
datruche for proof reading and suggestions.

Introduction and assumptions

I have a tower but have got my hands on a usb wifi dongle.

Code: Select all

lsusb | grep WLAN
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8172 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8191SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
I will attempt to show how easy it is to swap from ethernet to wifi assuming you do not need any firmware. This tutorial is for graphical methods and not manually changing the text file sitting under /config.

I am a right handed mouse user. So LB is left button click and RB is right button click and hover is move the pointer over some system tray icon.

What password do I mean?
If you have router there are a number of passwords including the password to make changes to settings, typically by going to your gateway address in your web browser.
If you have forgotten your gateway ip here is one way to find it route -nee can be run as guest.

Code: Select all

route -nee
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface    MSS   Window irtt
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    100    0        0 eth0     0     0      0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo       0     0      0
127.0.0.0       127.0.0.1       255.0.0.0       UG    0      0        0 lo       0     0      0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     100    0        0 eth0     0     0      0
Above shows 2 gateways and anything starting with 127 is local so it must be the other number. I will call this the admin password and the tutorial is not referring to this password.

In this tutorial password always means the wireless string and may have other names like pre-shared key, wireless security passphrase etc as per image from the router admin page.

This is not a tutorial for those using a usb dongle modem that typically has a sim card in it. Also I spend 99% of my time on ethernet so some parts of this tutorial may be wrong, misleading etc. Feel free to reply and correct or if shy send me a pm. Note this is was written on v 3.5
Also when I write a tutorial it is only meant for members using that version and not an older version as things can change.

Broadcom devices
A number of people have various Broadcom chipsets and in 64 bit v 3.4 and onwards has the wl kernel module already built inside. For reference here is more info
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... f_hardware

Index
post one is for those who prefer to boot with a changes cheatcode
post two is for those who prefer to boot without any changes cheatcode, includes live cd users
post three is for those who use a hidden SSID router string.

Changes cheatcode
Upon boot up there may be a small delay and then ethernet will auto connect assuming you have cable connected to your modem/router. Lets pull that cable out and move on.
For laptop users, you already have a wireless device but I then insert the wifi dongle.

At the bottom of the system tray we RB the network applet and choose add new connections
---or LB menu button (Linux start button) -> Preferences -> Network Connections ......gets you the same control panel

We pulldown and choose the new connection type as Wifi

In below image at (1) we type in the name of SSID being broadcast by your router
In below image at (2) we pulldown the Device option and it should auto-show wlan0 and its machine addrress
-----assuming you have only one wireless device.
Do not click on save

Next click the next TAB to the right for Wi-fi Security
In below image at (1) we choose what type of security your router does.....most should be capable of WPA2 or better
In below image at (2) we input your wifi password
In below image at (3) we have the option of ticking the box so we can see what password we are inputting
Lastly we save our changes by clicking on save

Porteus will then attempt to connect to your router and assuming it does you can then check the system tray by hover over network applet.

Optional ----you can also add new icons to system tray to monitor your network traffic in other ways
RB the system panel
choose add/remove Panel items and choose "Manage Networks"

Hover over this new icon might show network traffic for those interested in such.
Last edited by aus9 on 25 Dec 2015, 02:15, edited 14 times in total.

aus9

Re: [TUTORIAL] wi-fi graphical setup

Post#2 by aus9 » 24 Dec 2015, 22:58

post two

Booting with no changes cheatcode, may also apply to live cd users

Some people may prefer to try out Nemesis without attempting to save any changes. This is acceptable and not to be frowned upon.
Again the assumptions at top of post one apply.

This time we are not trying to make a setting that will persist over reboot so we can connect almost straight away by the graphical method as follows

We LB click the network applet in system tray. In the below image you may not find any routers including yours if you have SSID hidden in broadcast but I am showing mine as lucky9

We LB the name of your router's SSID which brings up a password dialog box

We input your router's password and Porteus should then darken the "connect" button which you LB to connect. Please note that the change of colour from greyed out to darkened and clickable "connect button" is not proof you have input the correct password.....so I would prefer you also click the show password unless you are surrounded by shonky people who are able to read what is on your monitor.

Good luck
Last edited by aus9 on 25 Dec 2015, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

aus9

Re: [TUTORIAL] wi-fi graphical setup

Post#3 by aus9 » 24 Dec 2015, 22:58

post 3

For connecting to your router where you hide the SSID broadcast string.

As you know hiding the broadcast string hides your router from amateurs who do not have sniffers and are more likely to be the Mums and Dads Windows users.
I am not recommending that you feel safe by adopting a hidden SSID as I believe it lulls you/me into a false of security. Lets move on.

There is more than one way to do it graphically but I will show only one way.

assuming you have no ethernet and no wireless connection when you LB the network applet it shoud give you an option to connect to a hidden network

Then the next image is where you must input the correct details and obviously you must know your hidden SSID string.

You have the option in above image of saving a new connection type or leaving it as "new". As the image may be small here are the names of the fields in that box

Connection (meaning new or over-write an existing config)
Network Name (meaning your hidden SSID)
Wi-fi Security (what protocol to use such as WPA2)
Password (router password for wifi)
box to show password

And don't forget to then click on connect