DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Installation failed with error code '3'

Post#16 by ncmprhnsbl » 14 Jun 2021, 05:11

i strongly recommend this:
ncmprhnsbl wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 12:49
added /etc/pacman.d/archive-mirror and archive-mirror-arch mirror links for "frozen" archive of the repos set to the date of the build.. to use, backup the standard mirrorlists and rename them(archive-mirror and archive-mirror-arch) to mirror and mirror-arch. this is an easy way to avoid conflicting packages when adding(or updating) extra software.. note that setup-pman will overwrite this..
since it's been a while since i last updated the base modules..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

Post#17 by rych » 18 Jun 2021, 07:58

ncmprhnsbl, I've extracted and renamed those two files from 001-core-20210316.xzm, setup-pman doesn't seem to override them though. Then I ran:

Code: Select all

pman -Syu
and it offered me to download a couple of hundred MBs of updates. I said yes. And yes to building a bundle module. It made a 367MB module update.bundle.tar.zst. But I wonder, my changes/usr folder has become 1.7GB now. So, I probably pman is a wrong tool, and I need to use the bare pacman and let my changes folder hold it? I have removed the update.bundle.tar.zst into optional modules, as I suspect I already have it "intsalled" in my changes anyway, no need to activate a module on top of it which would duplicate things.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#18 by ncmprhnsbl » 19 Jun 2021, 00:29

rych wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 07:58
and it offered me to download a couple of hundred MBs of updates.
i should have explained better.. since the purpose of using the frozen repos is to avoid such an update.. in your case since you're using 20.12.26 ISO, the idea would be to edit the frozen repo mirrorlists to point to that date, that way there'd be no updates..
but, sure, you can also do what you did, though it can get messy..(eg. pacman will complain about duplicated database entries)
and yes, you are correct about how pman goes about making bundles: installing to the live system(which gets picked up by changes) and makes it's module from copying the files from the system.
this is not my design and it's something i'd like to change at some point.. (ie. not installing to the live system, when making bundles)
also, the the resulting module should be an *.xzm not a *.bundle.tar.zst ....
if you want slim down your changes folder, there's various things you can remove: /usr/include, usr/share/locales being the biggest and maybe /var/cache/pacman/pkgs, though i don't think that should be there..

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#19 by rych » 19 Jun 2021, 04:18

ncmprhnsbl, I should have first run

Code: Select all

setup-pman
and then rename-copied your archive-mirror and archive-mirror-arch over.

I didn't know that Arch can be frozen to a given date, but apparently that's the case!? https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_L ... cific_date

I thought rolling release system implies always latest in the databases. Otherwise their databases must be enormous, if they have to keep all previous versions of all packages in the world?

If I booted into always fresh, then pman wouldn't pollute my /changes folder but would still make an update bundle module for me?

Regarding a .zst that's what it spitted out and copied to the modules folder for me, I assumed it's accepted along with .xzm. If not, I'd have to convert it into an .xzm myself.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#20 by ncmprhnsbl » 19 Jun 2021, 05:17

rych wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 04:18
didn't know that Arch can be frozen to a given date, but apparently that's the case!?
yeah, tho it's not really the purpose, it's more for a temporary rollback in the case of package being broken, but there's nothing stopping us from using it as a pseudo non-rolling repo.
one downside of this, if used for too long, is the risk of missing out on some security update..
and yes, their databases are enormous(although artix doesn't back as far), since each date contains every package, whether it's updated or not,afaiui..
rych wrote:
If I booted into always fresh, then pman wouldn't pollute my /changes folder but would still make an update bundle module for me?
yes, though i'd probly recommend only using pman for the purpose of adding extra apps and perhaps trying out M. Eerie's script: 2020 Updated Nemesis Base Modules (Post by M. Eerie #80232) which is designed specifically for updating the base..
sometime in the next week or so, i'll be updating the base again, though i note that you've had trouble with my latest updates... not quite sure what to make of that( i'll make an ISO too, to make sure the various files/folders are correct)
rych wrote:
Regarding a .zst that's what it spitted out and copied to the modules folder for me, I assumed it's accepted along with .xzm. If not, I'd have to convert it into an .xzm myself.
quite possibly a bug, i haven't stress tested pman for a while, beyond simple single package modules..

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#21 by rych » 19 Jun 2021, 06:31

ncmprhnsbl, thank you for all that. You know what, I'm going to wait for your new .iso then. It's also because, with all pacman system updates I'm now back to that problem again: after boot the first desktop is brought up incompletely: blank dark screen with mouse, so I have to go tty2 and startx there. Also, XFCE isn't my favorite, so I hope you would continue to include LXDE module as an option into the .iso as well. I'm going try it then once again. Cheers for your work