Arch based Porteus community project

Moderator: M. Eerie

guest253
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Poreteus Nemesis

Questions about Porteus Nemsis

Post#1 by guest253 » 28 Feb 2016, 21:44

I am still pretty new to Porteus and linux in general and I have a couple questions that I want to ask.

For reference, I am currently running Porteus Nemesis on my hard drive in my laptop.
  1. From what I understand, Porteus Nemesis is based on Manjaro, which is based on Arch. Since Arch is a rolling release distro and since the same goes for Manjaro, is Porteus Nemesis also a rolling distro? When new versions of Porteus Nemesis comes out, will I be able to simply update to the latest versions, or will I still have to reinstal Porteus nemesis?
  2. In Porteus Nemesis, what is the difference between pman and pacaur? From what I understand from this post, pman does not save changes but produces modules, while pacaur saves changes but does not produce modules. I used "pman -S firefox" to install firefox and although I got a message that said somthing along the lines of "modules folder cout not be found. Changes will not be saved", I still had firefox after a reboot. Also, I did have "changes=/porteus" in my 'porteus.cfg' file but, I still got that warning message and there was nothing in my modules folder. I checked my modules folder and it was indeed empty.
  3. Following up on #2, for running Porteus Nemesis on a internal hard drive, is it recommended to use pman of pacuar? Both seem to do the same thing to me. Changes are saved and I cannot find any new modules.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Questions about Porteus Nemsis

Post#2 by brokenman » 28 Feb 2016, 21:56

is Porteus Nemesis also a rolling distro?
Yes

When new versions of Porteus Nemesis comes out, will I be able to simply update to the latest versions, or will I still have to reinstal Porteus nemesis?
This is still undecided. Eventually there may be a function to update the base modules which means you can simply update.

In Porteus Nemesis, what is the difference between pman and pacaur?
pman is just a wrapper for pacman that creates a porteus comliant module. pacaur has no such wrapper yet and as such only installs the package.

Your changes persisted because you had the changes= cheatcode. This means any changes you make will survive a reboot.
In your case the changes made when pacaur installed the package will persist even though no module as made.

There are two methods.
a. Don't use changes and create a module that goes in your modules folder.
b. Use changes and don't worry about creating modules. This means your changes folder will become large fairly quickly. If the changes somehow become corrupt you have some work ahead of you.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

guest253
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by guest253 » 28 Feb 2016, 22:55

Woah, thanks for the reply and the clear answers. I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.
  1. It seems that using pman and using modules is the safer and recommended way. However, I get an error message that states "ERROR: Module directory is not mounted or unwritable." Just to make sure, would the module directory be the directory called "modules" in the "porteus" folder of my mounted drive? For example, would it be something along the lines of "/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/porteus/modules"?
  2. If I decide to use pman and use modules, then I would be able to remove the "changes=" cheatcode in the 'porteus.cfg' file and still keep the downloaded packages. However, if I remove the "changes=" cheatcode, does that mean that I will lose all changes that I have made? For example if I edit a word document and reboot, will that change persist? Which changes, if any, persist without the "changes=" cheatcode?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 28 Feb 2016, 23:12

For example, would it be something along the lines of "/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/porteus/modules"?
Yes
However, if I remove the "changes=" cheatcode, does that mean that I will lose all changes that I have made?
Yes

Nothing persists at all without the changes= cheatcode. It's groundhog day every reboot.

Once you have finished your questions I will move this thread into the Porteus Nemesis category so as not to mix it with Porteus slackware.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

guest253
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by guest253 » 28 Feb 2016, 23:24

Sorry I wasn't sure as to post this in the Nemesis category on the Newbie questions category because it is both newbie and related to Nemesis.

Thanks for all the answers. I think I can figure out what I want to do from here on out. Please proceed to move this thread.