Moderator: M. Eerie

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Re: Porteus Nemesis v3.4 BUG REPORTS

Post#46 by roadie » 20 Dec 2015, 07:17

Jack wrote:
brokenman wrote:If we move to arch the build.porteus.org site will need a rebuild.
This sound like a lot of work to me but you spend a lot of work on Arch. If you stay with Slackware it might be done by now and you know it works. My 0.02cents.
Well, thats one way to look at it, but there are others.Sticking with Slackware, you probably won't have a new release of Porteus until after Slackware releases it's upgrade...theres nothing new to make a new Slackware Porteus release worthwhile right now. And thats after a huge amount of work to recompile everything in Porteus....the porteus.org site will need work to rip out most of what's there now.

And the new Slackware Porteus will probably be a shadow of the old one, simply because it's too much for one person to maintain all the different desktops. Now, I know you're waiting on a 32bit version of Nemesis to try out, and it'll probably be along soon...I'm in the same boat Jack, when Nemesis started I wanted to try it so bad I could almost taste it. But, like you, I can't run a 64bit, gotta be 32....so I did what any red blooded Linux slut would do and built my own. It isn't that hard to do, just roll up your sleeves and jump in. The worst you can do is screw up, so what.

Personally, if Nemesis doesn't work out, I can see Porteus fading from the scene altogether, then what?...back to Ubuntu?...the community support right now is just bullshit.

aus9

Post#47 by aus9 » 20 Dec 2015, 08:59

Based partly on Ed_P post about using extramod....as this is the first time I have attempted to use this cheatcode here are my results

the only XZM I have in Z below is the 05-devel.xzm

1) With new folder Z as a sub-folder to porteus and using cheatcode changes=/porteus extramod=/mnt/sda3/porteus/Z
---I got the respawn problem
I am not an expert with this cheatcode but I will it a fail as.....

2) New folder Z moved to base of /mnt/sda3

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cmdline
quiet root=LABEL=p3 changes=/porteus extramod=/dev/sda3/Z

grep Z /var/log/porteus-livedbg 
/mnt/sda3/Z/05-devel.xzm
this is a success

altho I did not attempt to redo the sub-folder test as per (1) I am still tempted to stay....the syntax of the cheatcode seems to work well with /dev/pathway rather than /mnt/pathway

#####################################################################

slightly offtopic to above post but semi-related to my earlier bug reports about Nemesis not finding my changes or populating porteus/changes but instead creating a
changes dir at base of /mnt/sdXn

I wonder if I can now force the "correct" sub-dir of changes by changing my changes cheatcode to
changes=/dev/sda3/porteus?

reboot to test

NOPE this no workee....I was hoping /dev/sda3/porteus and also tried /dev/sda3/porteus/changes no good
2 things happen....I am seeing at least one red message that prelogin is failing and respawn problem

I then reboot without any changes= cheatcode and delete from changes/etc/inittab and reboot and that allow me to apparently resolve the respawn issue.
I shall slink away for now

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#48 by brokenman » 20 Dec 2015, 13:33

If you stay with Slackware it might be done by now and you know it works.
Read roadie's post. It wouldn't be finished, because slackware is still on 14.1 stable. That's why it hasn't even started.

I will fix this respawn issue and push an update. After I build the 32bit system today.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#49 by Jack » 20 Dec 2015, 17:36

brokenman wrote:
If you stay with Slackware it might be done by now and you know it works.
Read roadie's post. It wouldn't be finished, because slackware is still on 14.1 stable. That's why it hasn't even started.

I will fix this respawn issue and push an update. After I build the 32bit system today.
I don't care what you go with Porteus will still be the best.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#50 by brokenman » 20 Dec 2015, 18:14

I built 32bit and somewhere along the way, something was updated that broke consolekit. Now there is no shutdown button, only logout. :wall:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#51 by Ed_P » 20 Dec 2015, 18:24

Jack wrote:I don't care what you go with Porteus will still be the best.
I agree jack
brokenman wrote:Now there is no shutdown button, only logout. :wall:
I'm sure logout plus the power button is sufficient to shutdown. :wink:
Ed

aus9

Post#52 by aus9 » 20 Dec 2015, 22:54

I built 32bit and somewhere along the way, something was updated that broke consolekit
Is it time to revisit my 3.3 post about https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lxdm-consolekit/

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=5242&p=40108&hili ... kit#p40108

aus9

Post#53 by aus9 » 20 Dec 2015, 23:09

EDIT

this post is now solved see below Ed_P's reply
If I left click the magnify glass in the search bar it looks like google is the preferred setting.
I know how to change it manually but wonder as I can't remember....did it ever correctly show as duckduckgo
Last edited by aus9 on 21 Dec 2015, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#54 by Ed_P » 21 Dec 2015, 00:34

aus9 wrote:If I left click the magnify glass in the search bar it looks like google is the preferred setting.
I know how to change it manually but wonder as I can't remember....
On the old FF in Porteus 3.0.1 clicking on the magnifying class in the search window shows the default and under that icons for numerous search engines. If Google is the default, DuckDuckGo should be in the list. And under the icons a link to Change Search Settings.
Ed

aus9

Post#55 by aus9 » 21 Dec 2015, 03:10

thanks Ed the balance below is for brokenman's attention when he gets a chance.

@brokenman
I destroyed my changes and started again and have regained duckduckgo as per image

Probable bug
the problem is "your" default url to get to forum as per image

Members may not realise that its hiding the http:// and so displays forum bit etc
What they need IMHO is to redo their bookmark homepage as soon as possible to
so that FF displays a secure connection for login as

:friends:
Last edited by aus9 on 21 Dec 2015, 05:39, edited 2 times in total.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#56 by Jack » 21 Dec 2015, 04:05

roadie wrote:
Jack wrote:
brokenman wrote:If we move to arch the build.porteus.org site will need a rebuild.
This sound like a lot of work to me but you spend a lot of work on Arch. If you stay with Slackware it might be done by now and you know it works. My 0.02cents.
Well, thats one way to look at it, but there are others.Sticking with Slackware, you probably won't have a new release of Porteus until after Slackware releases it's upgrade...theres nothing new to make a new Slackware Porteus release worthwhile right now. And thats after a huge amount of work to recompile everything in Porteus....the porteus.org site will need work to rip out most of what's there now.

And the new Slackware Porteus will probably be a shadow of the old one, simply because it's too much for one person to maintain all the different desktops. Now, I know you're waiting on a 32bit version of Nemesis to try out, and it'll probably be along soon...I'm in the same boat Jack, when Nemesis started I wanted to try it so bad I could almost taste it. But, like you, I can't run a 64bit, gotta be 32....so I did what any red blooded Linux slut would do and built my own. It isn't that hard to do, just roll up your sleeves and jump in. The worst you can do is screw up, so what.

Personally, if Nemesis doesn't work out, I can see Porteus fading from the scene altogether, then what?...back to Ubuntu?...the community support right now is just bullshit.
The only 64bit is that Server I have but right now I have no Hard Drive for it and I guest they don't put a sound chip on Server motherboard. As I said before I can live with Porteus Mate 3.1 cause it works for me. Right now I gave 2 guy a copy of Porteus Mate 3.1 2 months ago and they love it and both are Windows user. As to date they use it more then Windows now and they say it is so fast.

As for me can I build a 64bit version of Nemesis on my 32bit computer? If I can I would try it out on my Server.

Please make backup copy first if you do change Porteus.org to Arch just in case you go back to Slackware someday.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

aus9

Post#57 by aus9 » 21 Dec 2015, 05:37

this is not a bug report but a possible tip for testers looking for bugs

altho I know brokenman is going to fix up my respawn issue I have 2 possible tips for testers to consider using

first one is real simple even I can understand it.
If you boot with a changes= cheatcode and you want instant acknowledgement its working.....I have changed the wallpaper and have one of my fav apps as a desktop icon (mtpaint)
It might sound simple....because it is simple :D but its saves time having to try other things.

second tip is for those who might experience the respawn boot up error.
I do a warm reset button push to reboot my tower, YMMV if your laptop has such a button
Next on menu I choose a bootloader option that has no cheatcode for changes=
I then run sudo mc and navigate to /mnt/sda3/changes/etc/inittab and delete that file

Yes I am a slow typer and its faster for me to use mc versus

sudo rm -rf /mnt/sda3/changes/etc/inittab
altho if I knew I had to keep on doing it, I would be tempted to put a script with that action line in my backup folder

YMMV

then as root

reboot -f
at bootloader choose my default changes= menu and Bob's your uncle

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#58 by brokenman » 21 Dec 2015, 19:53

Is it time to revisit my 3.3 post about https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lxdm-consolekit/
:shock: I feel a little embarresed right now.
altho I know brokenman is going to fix up my respawn issue
I have fixed it here. I've redone the whole boot procedure which is now using a static inittab and custom xdm script. Should be no more respawn issues. There are a few major changes so I think I will upload a minor version bump for 3.4

I am looking into the changes problem tonight.

pl0ni
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Post#59 by pl0ni » 22 Dec 2015, 02:59

@brokenman

Which 05-devel.xzm is correct?

There are two 05-devel.xzm file on your site:
  1. http://brokenman.porteus.org/porteus/x8 ... -devel.xzm | 2015-11-15 | 107MB
  2. http://brokenman.porteus.org/porteus/x8 ... -devel.xzm | 2015-12-17 | 73MB
get-devel retrieves the first one, but the second one has a more recent date.
pl0ni

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#60 by brokenman » 22 Dec 2015, 16:09

It's the one in current. You can get it by issuing in a console: get-devel

md5sum: f2c10c03748d02da9327765a50e063cc