Arch based Porteus community project

Moderator: M. Eerie

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Porteus Nemesis v3.3 BUG REPORTS

Post#1 by brokenman » 24 Nov 2015, 12:04

1) I am experiencing random freezes on startup. If I ctrl+alt+F2 and then log in as root and then switch back to F1 again, it breaks the freeze. Please report if you experience the same.

2) Many times during shutdown I get a hang when systemd-shutdown should be kicking in.

3) I have to revise all the boot chetcodes as some such as noauto are not working.

These are the most pressing bugs that I experience.
Last edited by brokenman on 18 Dec 2015, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unstuck
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

aus9

Re: Porteus Nemesis v3.3 BUG REPORTS

Post#2 by aus9 » 24 Nov 2015, 13:34

Hi

to get to console prompt instead of C + A + F2 try

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl stop lxdm
use start to re-restart it later?

EDIT unable to restart it using systemctl start lxdm with logged in root at this stage.

aus9

Post#3 by aus9 » 24 Nov 2015, 22:14

1a) I am not experiencing random lockups
b) leaving display manager running (LXDM) and going to another virtual terminal and logging in does not seem to do anything good or bad

2) unconfirmed but maybe because I don't get the lockups
b) on shutdown or on reboot I can see for a couple of seconds there is something in red....something that failed but haven't yet filmed it to replay slowly to see what that was.

##############
As my USB cable trick is still being useful, I am now investigating the Arch wiki on either Xorg.conf or some mouse config etc to give me a working mouse etc.
Trying to use just the /config/mouse does not work for me.....at this stage as per terminal messages

sudo setup-mouse

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for guest: 
unable to find device 'Logitech USB Optical Mouse'
guest ~ $ xinput --list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Logitech USB Optical Mouse              	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳   USB Keyboard                          	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳   USB Keyboard                          	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
I will reset /config/mouse to show you another error later. Correction possible issue.

aus9

Post#4 by aus9 » 24 Nov 2015, 22:22

possible bug leftover from 3.2

su
Password: 
Failed to connect to bus: Operation not permitted
but I still gain root so its only a minor bug. I know you have asked for help on this one.

Give positive feedback as well. Wired ethernet is auto connecting so good job.
I moved my 3.2 pacman-settings.xzm out of modules and re-ran as root setup-pman

The size of XZM is different. Maybe your random crashes are due to you using a wrong XZM?
I am not claiming to be an expert just offering random advice feel free to ignore etc
:D

aus9

Post#5 by aus9 » 24 Nov 2015, 22:50

rebooted with a default /config/mouse which has action lines or commented out lines of
Ignore=yes
#Name='SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
#Lefty=yes
TapClick=yes
#NaturalScrolling=yes
DisableWhileTyping=yes
HorizontalScroll=yes
MouseSpeed=-0.5

sudo setup-mouse
[sudo] password for guest: 
property 'libinput Tapping Enabled' doesn't exist, you need to specify its type and format
property 'libinput Disable While Typing Enabled' doesn't exist, you need to specify its type and format
property 'libinput Horizontal Scroll Enabled' doesn't exist, you need to specify its type and format
To my brain, without an xorg.conf etc etc.....the confless system seems to be using the
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-libinput.conf ?

And half a sneaky feeling it can't use my USB mouse or kb because it thinks I use a laptop. :D
Truth = tower

While for USB mouse/keyboards the 10-evdev.conf looks more promising with info that
# Catch-all evdev loader for udev-based systems
# We don't simply match on any device since that also adds accelerometers
# and other devices that we don't really want to use. The list below
# matches everything but joysticks.

aus9

Post#6 by aus9 » 24 Nov 2015, 23:33

this is not a bug but thought I would offer feedback on my bright idea

I used root powers, with a cheatcode of changes= to copy
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
full reboot but mouse still stuck

Looks like its back to looking at the Arch wikis or
EDIT just noticed that
ls /usr/lib/udev has dir rules.d/
and it does not have 10-evdev.conf

reboot to see if that makes a diff
EDIT removed the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d entry
reboot to see if the /usr/lib/udev/rules.d entry would unfreeze my mouse

nope

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 by brokenman » 25 Nov 2015, 00:34

there is something in red....something that failed but haven't yet filmed it to replay slowly to see what that was.
There is one red message I can't get rid of, but no biggie. After systemd switches back to the initrd the mount is unmounted.

The input devices are being controlled by libinput and not evdev. I believe I left the Ignore=yes line uncommented in the config/mouse file so the individual settings are probably not the problem. More likey it is libinput. I will ask you to test with evdev soon to see if it helps.
The size of XZM is different. Maybe your random crashes are due to you using a wrong XZM?
Perhaps the size is different because it now adds a file that was missing. The one that was causing the call for pacman-db-upgrade. I tested on two other machines and both did not experience the lockup. I believe it is related to my AMD card and switheroo graphics, but have yet to dig deeper.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#8 by ncmprhnsbl » 25 Nov 2015, 05:10

re: mouse
had a look at my arch setup: dont even have libinput installed, evdev handles it there..
its strange because libinput works fine once hotplugged... just some weird sleep thing...

edit .. . dunno if theres some relevance here: https://www.archlinux.org/news/xorg-118 ... s-testing/
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#9 by Ed_P » 25 Nov 2015, 05:46

Still no WiFi networks on my Acer netbook. Network Manager 1.0.6 I believe. In Porteus 3.0.1 the Network Manager applet is 0.9.8.4 and it addition to Enable Networking and Enable Notifications it has an option to Enable Wi-Fi which the 1.0.6 version doesn't have.

Also after I boot and put the mouse over the applet it displays No network. If I right click and select Enable Networking, close the window and then move my mouse over the applet it displays Network Disabled.

The boot USB drive is now showing in PCManFM. :good:

And the touchpad's tapping works. :D
Ed

aus9

Post#10 by aus9 » 25 Nov 2015, 06:30

Hi Ed_P
Also after I boot and put the mouse over the applet it displays No network. If I right click and select Enable Networking, close the window and then move my mouse over the applet it displays Network Disabled.
You are being mislead due to the lack of icon support in the NM applet itself.

When you first hover if it says No Network.....that tells you that notifications are already enabled but if you RH click applet is missing a TICK BOX to show its already ticked.
IMHO you are then mislead that there is no tick against enable Network so you click that.....and in doing so you just disabled network.

2) Have you tried to modify the /config/network file to enable your wifi

aus9

Post#11 by aus9 » 25 Nov 2015, 07:07

minor bug confirmed by Ed_P and myself.

Network applet, for me ethernet and for Ed_P a wifi connection has no buttons to indicate if network is enabled or disabled....Ditto notifications
EDIT SOLVED
as root

pman -S adwaita-icon-theme
In the panel the item is actually called system-tray ....well it is on my system YMMV

I see ncmprhnsbl mentions adwaita in v 3.2 so can only take half credits so can only drink half a beer
Last edited by aus9 on 25 Nov 2015, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

aus9

Post#12 by aus9 » 25 Nov 2015, 07:23

@ncmprhnsbl

Is this worth commenting on?
/etc/arch-release still empty file maybe sym link to /usr/lib/os-release

pl0ni
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Post#13 by pl0ni » 25 Nov 2015, 09:19

Some feedback on vbox-build:
  1. You can modify line 52 to prevent the .run file from being re-downloaded if it can still be found in /tmp:

[ -f /tmp/${runfile##*/} ] || wget ${runfile} -P /tmp
  2. The kernel modules are installed in kernel/misc (modify lines 72,73)

mkdir -p $BUILD/usr/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel
    cp -a -R /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/misc $BUILD/usr/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel
  3. The $TMPDIR/commands file is built, but is never executed
Any chance of a similar script for the guest additions? I can successfully build/install it from the iso, but I don't know how to find and create a module of all the installed files.

Also, any plans to support magic folders in Nemesis?
pl0ni

aus9

Post#14 by aus9 » 25 Nov 2015, 10:20

good news! I amended my build script for attempt to resolve the ca-certificates bug from mksquashfs -- to dir2xzm and it works ! There are some other changes to script as well. I have a lot more testing to do but here is a teaser.

lynx https://cert-test.sandbox.google.com/
----> Client test successful
The other but related XZM package has not been rebuilt so still contains false entries of var/lib/pacman etc in it. But I am happy after a number of reboots that new core is what I think it should be but I have removed a certain folder and it still works OK. I will re-test the build manually tomorrow if time and send you a pm etc if testing is still as good as today. That other XZM also needs a second opinion and I have posted in another security forum but not yet got a reply that I can rely on so I know you won't rely on it either.

That can wait. I will finish testing this project first as its already looks a winner. :D

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#15 by brokenman » 25 Nov 2015, 13:26

Good job! It sometimes amazes me how fundamental security implementations are so openly flawed. SSL is a pretty widespread and commonly used aspect of daily internet security.

@aus9
/etc/arch-release still empty file maybe sym link to /usr/lib/os-release
I prefer to leave it there as a file in case some old arch applications make a check for this file. I figure the arch guys would hve removed it otherwise. Also I did implement the relative symlinks suggestion but then found that after booting they become relative to the live file system, so you end up with a monstrosity of a relative symlink.

@pl0ni
Thanks for that. I will use the new updates feature to push an update for the vbox-build script.
hint: You can use a script called changes-time to look at all files that were modified in a given time frame. It works on timestamps so is not fool proof but does a good job. So running the guest addons and then executing this script will give you an idea of what was modified/added.
Also, any plans to support magic folders in Nemesis?
If we convert to arch I will slowly add the extra features and cheatcodes.