Arch based Porteus community project

Moderator: M. Eerie

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: Porteus Nemesis v3.3 BUG REPORTS

Post#16 by Ahau » 25 Nov 2015, 15:58

Great job, brokenman! I like what I see so far.

Yeah...systemd is taking some getting used to, and I'm completely lost as far as package management goes, having tried pacman briefly in the past but only experiencing failure LOL

I can confirm random shutdown freezes; thought maybe there was a race condition so I put some sleepy time into the shutdown script, to no avail. wifi works out of the box, firefox install worked well too.

At the risk of causing more problems than solutions with my uneducated hacks, I'm playing a bit with implementing cheatcodes. First one up is "login=", cuz I love me some autologin as root :evil:

In rootcopy:

create a file at /etc/systemd/system/cheadcode.service

text:

Code: Select all

[Unit]
Description=Execute Porteus Cheatcodes

[Service]
ExecStart=/opt/porteus-scripts/cheatcodes.sh

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
then create another directory, /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants, and place a symlink there named cheadcode.service, linked to /etc/systemd/system/cheadcode.service

Now create your script in rootcopy, /opt/porteus-scripts/cheatcodes.sh with the following:

#!/bin/bash
#testing script for cheatcodes

# set LXDE autouser
login=`egrep -o " login=[^ ]+*" /proc/cmdline | cut -dn -f2`
[ "$login"  ] && sed -i -r s/^.*autologin=.*$/autologin$login/g /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf || sed -i -r s/^.*autologin=.*$/autologin=guest/g /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf
HTH
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#17 by brokenman » 25 Nov 2015, 16:08

Thanks Ahau. I was afraid someone would confirm the shutdown hangs. I have a script called preshutdown that is supposed to take care of unmounting some stuff. I will disable it for a while here and see if it is the cause. Thanks for the cheatcode hints. I will see how it implements. I'll slowly introduce more cheatcodes as things stabilize.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#18 by Ahau » 25 Nov 2015, 16:16

Sure thing....figuring out how to implement cheatcodes at the right time during systemd startup seems like a bit of a chore, but I imagine it will get easier with time and experience. I'm getting the dbus (?) error with 'su' as others mentioned in previous posts and tried to see if I could figure that out, but d-bus errors are one of my (many) Achilles heels.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#19 by francois » 25 Nov 2015, 21:52

usb mouse temporary freeze or lag here on my laptop, whereas my laptop keyboard and mousepad are not at all problematic. As it reminds me of a problem under porteus:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3640
I am trying some solutions around that theme:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=160993

Je vous transmets mes respects ahau :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

aus9

Post#20 by aus9 » 25 Nov 2015, 22:27

RE:shutdown freezes

Still yet to get it. But when I did some stuff in Tmp with a changes= cheatcode I did notice that the shutdown took longer and I was able to read some of the messages.
The messages were along the lines with no attempt to record the actual words
~ a job is shutting down in [ count up seconds / total time]
To the left of message is a small "left to right, right to left progress bar" .

I had 2 of them but both worked and shutdown completed but took about 2 minutes which was not fantastic.

Note to myself.....must do unsquashing etc in a "no changes" cheatcode environment.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#21 by brokenman » 25 Nov 2015, 22:41

Ok, this 'shutting down in 1.5 minutes' message is from systemd-shutdown so it sounds like the preshutdown script has already completed. I saw this message also and it was referring to a laptop-mode job not finished. The 1.5 minute default can be reduced in the systemd config file.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#22 by francois » 26 Nov 2015, 00:29

3) testing cheatcode login=root
does not work

However, this might be due to the content of /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf where you have:
autologin=guest

and it works with:
autologin=root

3) testing cheatcode from=
it works now for me

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#23 by Ahau » 26 Nov 2015, 00:32

Merci beaucoup, Francois! Good to hear from you, my friend :)

My system appears to hang on shutdown at the very tail end, and it occurs when I use the 'halt' command. Things work great with 'reboot' and 'poweroff'. I don't imagine this is a busybox problem...? Maybe it has to do with how systemd is passing the halt command back to shutdown?

cliexec=appears to work with the same method I outlined above, copying the relevant code from rc.M into the cheat ode script. My commands execute but I can't see any output because it's running inside the black box of systemd.

EDIT: did some more sleuthing and I think you might have an issue with busybox. 'halt' doesn't seem to be working. If I manually modify the command at the end of /mnt/live/shutdown to be "poweroff -f", everything is fine. making it "halt" or "halt -f", the system just freezes. Of course this would be easy to work around in the shutdown script but seems like it'd be better to fix the problem rather than work around it. cheers!

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#24 by Ahau » 26 Nov 2015, 01:03

@francois, I neglected to mention you must make the cheatcodes.sh script executable. Also double check after boot-up that the symlink is present in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants

When working this edits lxdm.conf to specify the user passed through the cheatcode. Editing lxdm.conf does have the same effect, but wouldn't work without saved changes.

Thanks!

aus9

Post#25 by aus9 » 26 Nov 2015, 01:59

@brokenman Not a bug report but save me doing a pm

I am now reading the config file for the Debian update-certs executable and I like it for 2 reasons
1) Its Debian and offers users more features than our current Fedora based scripts and my <was/ planned/maybe> LFS based scripts.
2) It allows members to individually choose to trust or remove trust of certain Common Name cert authorities.

If I am successful lets pretend the future has information similar to this news item

http://www.itnews.com.au/news/comodo-is ... mes-411662
In case members think I am click baiting here is quote
The eight Comodo certificates included generic host names such as "help", "sums-prod", "hie_stage_user", "mailarchive", and "aits-macl" as well as two .local non-registered internal domains
they don't say which root cert authority is affected ....so much for transparency. There is supposed to be a updated report but I have yet to find it

So a member would use root powers to edit the file
/etc/ca-certificates.conf and if they choose put an ! prefix against Comodo so the lines including the one above and below read
mozilla/ComSign_Secured_CA.crt
!mozilla/Comodo_AAA_Services_root.crt
!mozilla/Comodo_Secure_Services_root.crt
!mozilla/Comodo_Trusted_Services_root.crt
mozilla/Cybertrust_Global_Root.crt
then run as root a script called

update-ca-certificates
which will update certs and generate a new bundle ca-certificates.crt

PS I am not suggesting members should do this.....as there is still no info on exactly what CA crt is affected. Its just an example for sometime in the future

PS2 Its unlikely new members are reading this, but in case they do, be aware that if you use a big web browser ---IT has its own cert database and tend to have configs they disable sslv3 by default so most members are safe to browse on those big browsers. Tested on FF and its true. Likely to be true for PM , Opera, Google-Chrome.

PS3 so if you can afford the download try to use a web browser that updates frequently

thanks for reading

bottom line.....my build script won't be ready in 24 hours.....I got too excited.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#26 by Ed_P » 26 Nov 2015, 07:21

aus9 wrote:IMHO you are then mislead that there is no tick against enable Network so you click that.....and in doing so you just disabled network.
Actually I figured I had nothing to loose trying that.
2) Have you tried to modify the /config/network file to enable your wifi
I have used the NetworkManager applet to add my home's WiFi config to the system but it didn't help.
aus9 wrote:EDIT SOLVED
as root

pman -S adwaita-icon-theme
No can do with no network connection. :(
Ed

aus9

Post#27 by aus9 » 26 Nov 2015, 08:22

No can do with no network connection
Yes that a killjoy. My bad. I should have said something along the lines
@brokenman

On next rebuild please add that icon theme so some innocent people are not mislead by having no radio button or no tick against the nm-applet.

Hopefully someone with wifi skills will help you out.

I gather you have no ethernet cable to connect to router or its only a single port router and someone is already hogging it?
Last edited by aus9 on 26 Nov 2015, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

aus9

Post#28 by aus9 » 26 Nov 2015, 08:26

to anyone experienced Arch user

Have you guys or gals tried out wicd-gtk / wicd?

On another distro, wicd can handle eth and wifi YMMV and I am a tower man.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wicd

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#29 by francois » 26 Nov 2015, 10:14

@ahau:
I understand that login= will have to be implemented for each different sort of login manager on use on the present setting of nemesis. Is it the case? Maybe we should adopt sddm as universal login manager as it will boot kde5-plasma in addition to all the other desktop managers. Under manjaro kde, xfce, lxde, lxqt all run under sddm.

Before the setup of lxdm, I was working with .xinitrc and .bash_profile and /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf only. This would enable to login root with a few modifications not tied to the login manager. See, Autologin user (root or normal) without a login manager:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=5105

@aus9:
networkmanager works perfectly here now (at least on my side). You just have to use the nemesis config file to set eth0 or wlan0 at startup. There must be a way to get the system choose one or the other automatically as in porteus-slackware.

Stifiling had wicd going on porteus aka sensei arch linux version.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#30 by beny » 26 Nov 2015, 12:42

hi brokenman only the vbox script do not make an usable package only 4kb, the other things all ok no freeze for me i have downgraded the kernel to 4.1.12 version and build nvidia driver, i have left lxde for now work well too
pman can do the vbox package but it need the 4.2.5 kernel and isn't good for me the vbox package want this kernel and downloads it too.