Porteus Nemesis v3.2 BUG REPORTS

Arch based Porteus community project

Moderator: M. Eerie

aus9

Re: Porteus Nemesis v3.2 BUG REPORTS

Post#61 by aus9 » 18 Nov 2015, 23:20

EDIT, not a bug I know

pman is ignoring my live change to /config/modules and the reason is the config/modules says
This file is parsed by the pman (pacman wrapper) script on start
any chance pman can have its own "live" config that will over-ride anything in /config
say at /etc/pman.conf
Last edited by aus9 on 18 Nov 2015, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

aus9

Post#62 by aus9 » 18 Nov 2015, 23:28

I have got a reply at ARCH already on the 755 issue
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 3#p1579623

full reply in quote
They're that way because that's how upstream installs them. Arch doesn't have the myriad of rules about packages that Debian does. If it works, we tend to stick with upstream (with some exceptions for things like bundled libs and such).

To get more to the heart of your question, the executable bit on shared objects doesn't really matter much.
I will slink away and edit some non-bugs

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#63 by brokenman » 18 Nov 2015, 23:46

pman is ignoring my live change to /config/modules
:friends: /config is read at boot and ignored later ....

The config files are copied to /etc/porteus.d so any that you want to edit in live mode (perhaps for testing) can be done here. You can then rerun /usr/local/sbin/boot-XXX to reconfigure on the fly.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

aus9

Post#64 by aus9 » 19 Nov 2015, 02:00

The config files are copied to /etc/porteus.d so any that you want to edit in live mode (perhaps for testing) can be done here
thanks for that tip

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#65 by Ed_P » 19 Nov 2015, 06:01

The Acer netbook's touchpad's tapping works now. :good:

No wifi capability. :(
Ed

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: LXDE3.5Manjaro, LXDE3.01-32bit

Post#66 by ElectriQT » 19 Nov 2015, 10:00

Hi,
I have been testing the latest Nemesis 3.2 for some days now,
(copy 2 ram)

Looks and works great, but it is not stable,
cant use it for work now, I did not see that frequent application-crashing on the version before(the gray one) but my hw is not identical now.
Firefox 42.0 is the one that gets shoot down most of the time, It seems like a OOM-shutdown, but if so then it is strange, as I often have "only" used about 670 of 1800 MB when it can disappear, without any real warning. Like ..Bam.. =@ or after a small hang.

Also FFox42.0 on porteus Nemesis seems to have problems with some site scripts, for example http://www.hitta.se , if you have some tabs and have been running Ffox for a while, + check the maps at http://www.hitta.se (one "yellowpages"phonenumberlookup-service in Sweden), After I do some zooming out, +scrolling around in the maps will get you a looong hang, many minutes. The mouse pointer will first start to jerk, then stop/freeze, and never really give me time to shut down the map-tabs before it hang the *system* at almost 100%, its like a 99.993% hang :-/

The system dont crach, its just an insane long wait before FFox say something like:
"a script at xxxx.xx stopped and seem not to respond, would you like to kill that script now, or continue to wait forever?"

The main issue I have with Nemesis on this is that:
I cant do anything about that system lockup, :-(
in 3.01 LXDE I could just hit cntrlAltBackspace and it will kill all evil scripts and hangs, and give me the login-screen. and problem solved, *fast*

Thanx

ElectriQT
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: LXDE3.5Manjaro, LXDE3.01-32bit

Post#67 by ElectriQT » 19 Nov 2015, 10:30

Hi, Some more initial thoughts/findings,
Sorry I dont have the time to make it pretty now, hope something can be useful for you/us:

I Tested it on a bit Older HW this time
a HP compaq 6715b,AMD Turion x2 64 bit. (has a high resolution screen. works)
My initial reactions/findings, hope this dont sound to negative, as I do like it! Love the pman&packman
but the stability must be addressed/fixed, otherwise all other tings is irrelevant to. I had about 15-20 crashes or hangs in 2-3 days

- Missing my usb in /mnt/sdx
.. found it in..: guest /run/media/guest/UUI $ ls
- Seems a bit more memory-hungry than nemesis1.2 and Porteus 3.01LXDE, after install of ufw (280MB)
.. (470MB with open but empty Firefox42 without flash)
- Wifi didnt work at all, nothing there to enable. Also the touchbutton dont respond.
- Windows(some) cant be rezised whith mouse-drag in lower right corner
- Soundcontroll up/down buttons on the laptop didnt work, (they light up at the touch, but will do nothing)
- ..but the touch-button for "mute" did work. :-)
- ...but the " [ ]mute " checkebox is not marked/unmarked in the system menu/mastervolume controll in the taskbar symbol.

- "volume-controll"-settings in the bottom-right panel dont work, (but the provided mute and the up-down slider there seems to work).
..The "PulseAudio", from the main menu didnt start, just a rotating wait-symbol.

- Is it intentional that it say it(pman) dont find the modules folder?

- screenshot dont work (the button)
- screenshoot from the menu did not start (/accsessories,menu should maybe be /graphics? )

- ScreenLighLevel buttons DID work! :-)

- usb was auto-mounted on insert, and that part now works as we like :-)
- no trashcan when running pcmanfm as root

- Wired internet did work without any setup at all. :-) But it was hard to find a cable and a a separate wifiantenna for this cable.

- firewall default was OFF ! :-( (can we fix this, very anoying when in an open city-lan)

- CPU was below 1% on both cores, even when drag-dropping a file from usb to dektop. great :-)

- Fan running on max all the time, I can live with that. Better than not running at all or always to slow.. :-)

- As mention in the earlier post, "A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.
.. Script: http://www.hitta.se/assets/jav…a.site.h ... 117-1046:9"

- "Choose helper application", for example a pdf on a webpage, will open a PcmanFM, but not a list of the applications to choose from.

- Enable networking after a disable/disconnect take much longer time than normal before it sterts to work on the reconecnnect process

- Firefox keep crashing on me, looks like OOM-shutdowns, but I am not OutOfMamory :-(

- I had my modules-folder and usb automounted, thanx :-)

guest ~ $ sudo iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

aus9

Post#68 by aus9 » 19 Nov 2015, 14:06

ElectriQT

I am sorry your hardware/software is not behaving the way you prefer. Some quick comments to see if I could verify some of your issues as bugs in no particular order.

1) insert usb stick with filemanager open, without changing any configs
FM shows pathway as written and its super quick for me but I have a tower 8G RAM etc

2) with FF open, 2 terminal tabs open

Code: Select all

cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        7863792 kB
MemFree:         6281472 kB
MemAvailable:    7195040 kB
snip
3) sound....today is the first day I have tested it.
first you need to do this for system wide pulseaudio IMHO

pulseaudio -vvv
then I go to menu -> sound -> PA vol control and last tab for configuration
----change your output if its not preset the way you like it.
For me it starts up with hdmi but I choose analog sound as I have just 2 speakers coming out of my green stac (hole)

4)

echo $MODDIR
works for me, and pman finds my modules dir. You may like to confirm if you have run
as root

setup-pman
and press y to allow module for pacman-settings, but assumes pman will find your MODDIR

5) screenshot button not found for me, not sure where you are looking.
screenshot thru menu works for me, default dir is Pictures

6)
no trashcan when running pcmanfm as root
I will get into trouble replying to that one. :D I guess you and I will disagree here. I will sacrifice a beer for offending you.
Actually I configure FM to not use a trashcan. When I delete I accept full responsibilty for being an idiot. Blame the aussie beer.

7)
Firefox keep crashing on me
Not my experience but I cheat. I have an unpacked firefox and run it from the unpack thru a sym link.
When I get changes= cheatcode working it will be a sym link to my home dir (your root dir) but for now it looks like this

/mnt/sda3/firefox
1447924332294	addons.update-checker	WARN	Update manifest for {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd} did not contain an updates property
1447924334260	addons.manager	WARN	Exception calling callback: Error: Unknown add-on ID firefox-hotfix@mozilla.org (resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:7857:11) JS Stack trace: DirInstallLocation_getLocationForID@XPIProvider.jsm:7857:11 < XPI_uninstallAddon@XPIProvider.jsm:5030:20 < AddonWrapper_uninstall@XPIProvider.jsm:7306:5 < uninstallHotfix/<@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///home/guest/.mozilla/firefox/0cg8qdcr.default/extensions/firefox-hotfix@bootstrap.js:59:5 < safeCall@AddonManager.jsm:173:5 < makeSafe/<@AddonManager.jsm:189:25 < Handler.prototype.process@Promise-backend.js:934:23 < this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop@Promise-backend.js:813:7 < this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<@Promise-backend.js:747:1
Its been open for yonks and those messages don't stop or crash my FF.

uptime
 14:14:59 up  5:18,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.09
8 I have a tower to a router and the router has a firewall so sorry to hear you have software firewall issues.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#69 by brokenman » 19 Nov 2015, 15:59

If you download and activate the 05-devel.xzm module you should have all you need for screenshots. libtool is missing from 003 but I have added it for the next release. If gvfs is present then the trashcan should be working in pcmanfm.

ls /var/lib/pacman/local/gvfs*

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#70 by Ed_P » 19 Nov 2015, 16:00

No access to files on NTFS partitions.
Ed

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#71 by beny » 19 Nov 2015, 17:59

ntfs-3g with pman -S

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#72 by Ed_P » 19 Nov 2015, 18:36

Thanks beny. Unfortunately pman requires Internet and WiFi doesn't work either with 3.2. :(
Ed

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#73 by beny » 19 Nov 2015, 20:25

you have to install iw from repos is a tool to scan wifi device,with ip link you have the name of your wifi device the arch wiki wireless network config is a good start point
Last edited by beny on 19 Nov 2015, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#74 by brokenman » 19 Nov 2015, 20:25

Thanks. I have the mtab problem sorted.

Ed_P Do you mean the little applet in the panel doesn't let you connect to wifi? Please give more information if you are going to post in the bug reports section. Very difficult to troubleshoot without information.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#75 by brokenman » 19 Nov 2015, 20:29

Anyone having crashes in firefox v42 (I'm not getting this) can you please start it from a console and record any other data possible about the crash. I have tried to max it out with panels, flash videos, everything. I can't even make it crash.