Arch based Porteus community project

Moderator: M. Eerie

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Re: Suggestions

Post#136 by Blaze » 10 Jan 2016, 11:00

Hey, I found this really awesome icons theme Oranchelo icons by ZayronXio - look at this and repo of this theme on github.com here

Porteus 3.1 LXDE

Porteus Nemesis v3.5 LXDE

I see that 2 icons is missing in Porteus Nemesis v3.5 LXDE - it's logout and iconify all windows. But it can be fixed.
But in Porteus 3.1 LXDE all icons seems ok.

This theme does not requires /usr/share/icons/hicolor
Copy Oranchelo and if you want Oranchelo-Green to /usr/share/icons
Go to Preferences > Customize Look and Feel > Icon Theme and active Oranchelo and clik Apply button
BTW we can remove Faenza, Faenza-Dark and Faenza-Darker from /usr/share/icons
Faenza, Faenza-Dark and Faenza-Darker = 50.4 Mb
Oranchelo and Oranchelo-Green = 16.8 Mb
Oranchelo = 16.6 Mb
Last edited by Blaze on 10 Jan 2016, 18:49, edited 10 times in total.
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

fullmoonremix

Post#137 by fullmoonremix » 10 Jan 2016, 12:03

Salutations... :good:

IMHO... :oops: Porteus "might" possibly benefit from... kernel hardening (AlpineLinux uses PaX also Hardened Gentoo).

eg. :unknown:
Hardened Gentoo
PaX
http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/05/31/c ... rsecurity/

IMHO... :oops: Porteus "might" possibly benefit from... sandboxing (Minix uses a microkernel so it benefits from "security by design").

eg. :unknown:
MINIX
Adaptive Domain Environment for Operating Systems
http://wiki.osdev.org/Exokernel

Best Regards... :beer:
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 11 Jan 2016, 00:33, edited 10 times in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#138 by brokenman » 10 Jan 2016, 22:17

Thanks Blaze. Have you checked if it contains icons for most of the stuff we have installed in LXDE?

@fullmoonremix
Please state your suggestion instead of just links. I read the pax patch but I don't like the sound of this.
"PaX is maintained by The PaX Team, whose principal coder is anonymous."
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

aus9

Post#139 by aus9 » 10 Jan 2016, 23:00

regarding icons

good find Blaze and upstream maintainer=zayronXIO appears receptive to feedback.....which is always a good sign even if its just icons.
We could build icons ourselves but I don't have the time.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#140 by brokenman » 11 Jan 2016, 00:36

@fullmoonremix, I read some of the other links but most of it is incomprehensible to me. Can you perhaps give me a real life scenario I can get my head around? For sanboxing I believe we have this built in with fresh mode. I now find it hard to work in a real HD install of any operating system because fo the mess that I make, that I know will be cleaned up with a reboot. Fresh mode with copy2ram and nohd essentially sandboxes anything you do to that single session.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#141 by brokenman » 11 Jan 2016, 00:38

Oranchelo = 16.6 Mb
I am all for this space saving, but if we are missing some icons in the 50M icon set I imagine we will be missing more in a 16M iconset. If you can check that most are there I would be happy to swap it for faenza.

fullmoonremix

Post#142 by fullmoonremix » 11 Jan 2016, 02:18

Linux is secure because unlike that "other" $ystem... the default is NOT superuser.
Yet... that does not make it 100% immune to exploits and/or malicious code.

Porteus is secure because unlike many X based systems it is modular and "live". However... unless used as a diskless kiosk
where no secure data is stored or transmitted (eg. credit info... project binaries... etc.) there exists vulnerability.

Consider this real world example... OpenSSL has well documented exploits (because it's... "compromised by design"?).
So this begs the question... if you reboot (w/ fresh mode) a compromised binary don't those compromises also reboot?

However... if sandboxed with patches and/or nanokernels the exploits can be eliminated and/or contained.
And any errors introduced by inferior and/or malicious code will NOT destablize/crash the system (hence... "fault tolerance").

I believe it is possible to compromise package management. This is why I prefer tunneling (Tor?) to a repo.
And although Porteus runs in RAM and can even boot from an ISO I'm convinced it could be compromised in RAM.

So basically all I'm suggesting is that intead of hypervisors... emulators... containers... that could impose latency...
perhaps patches and nanokernels represent a low overhead abstracted approach to "security by design".

Again... Hardened Gentoo... Minix... AlpineLinux (Arch) and others use these tactics.

Posted by 73.150.85.78 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 20 May 2016, 13:39, edited 7 times in total.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#143 by Blaze » 11 Jan 2016, 18:28

brokenman wrote:Thanks Blaze. Have you checked if it contains icons for most of the stuff we have installed in LXDE?
All stuff are present in LXDE.
brokenman wrote:
Oranchelo = 16.6 Mb
I am all for this space saving, but if we are missing some icons in the 50M icon set I imagine we will be missing more in a 16M iconset.
I think you are mistaken. I'm hard test 16M Oranchelo iconset and all icons are present.
brokenman wrote:If you can check that most are there I would be happy to swap it for faenza.
I checked and confirm that Faenza, Faenza-Dark and Faenza-Darker = 50.4 Mb does not need. Remove these iconsets. Damn, It's a free space 8)

What I checked.

In Porteus 3.1 LXDE (LXDE from Porteus 3.0.1)

If delete hicolor - these icons are missing:

Porteus module icon
/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/cdr.png
/hicolor/22x22/mimetypes/cdr.png
/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes/cdr.png
/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/cdr.png
/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/cdr.png
/hicolor/128x128/mimetypes/cdr.png

USM icons of Slackware
/hicolor/48x48/apps/usm.png
/hicolor/48x48/apps/usmdatabase.png
/hicolor/48x48/apps/usmslackware.png

Porteus Installer icon
/hicolor/16x16/devices/drive-external-usb.png
/hicolor/32x32/devices/drive-external-usb.png
/hicolor/48x48/devices/drive-external-usb.png

src2pkg
/hicolor/16x16/apps/src2pkg.png
/hicolor/24x24/apps/src2pkg.png
/hicolor/32x32/apps/src2pkg.png
/hicolor/48x48/apps/src2pkg.png

But it's hicolor iconset :)

If i copy system-log-out.svg from /usr/share/icons/Humanity-LXDE/actions/48 to /usr/share/icons/Oranchelo/actions/scalable with replace it - logout icon to shows me fine.
When i copy system-log-out.svg (it's default icon of /usr/share/icons/Oranchelo/actions/scalable) back to /usr/share/icons/Oranchelo/actions/scalable and refresh theme (Go to Preferences > Customize Look and Feel > Icon Theme and i activated other theme and then i activated Oranchelo theme via Apply button) - logout icon of Oranchelo iconset to shows fine me too. Damn, It's magic! :evil:

About "Minimize All Windows" (Iconify) icon - it's window-manager.png
She is located in /usr/share/lxpanel/images

BTW and gnome-logout.png is located in /usr/share/lxpanel/images
on this icon can be used a symbolic link on gnome-logout.svg at /usr/share/icons/Oranchelo/actions/scalable directory

brokenman, in Porteus Nemesis v3.5 the directory /usr/share/lxpanel/images does not have images! Only subfolder xkb-flags. Therefore, these icons were lost in nemesis (about window-manager.png and gnome-logout.png)
But in In Porteus 3.1 LXDE (LXDE from Porteus 3.0.1) i have these

Code: Select all

root@porteus:~# ls -a /usr/share/lxpanel/images
./                          gnome-netstatus-disconn.png  ns-recvdata.png
../                         gnome-netstatus-error.png    ns-senddata.png
background.png              gnome-netstatus-idle.png     numlock-off.png
capslock-off.png            gnome-netstatus-rx.png       numlock-on.png
capslock-on.png             gnome-netstatus-tx.png       scrllock-off.png
clock.png                   gnome-netstatus-txrx.png     scrllock-on.png
cpufreq-icon.png            mute.png                     stock_volume.png
file-manager.png            my-computer.png              volume-high.png
gnome-logout.png            ns-bothrs.png                volume-low.png
gnome-netstatus-0-24.png    ns-connected.png             volume-medium.png
gnome-netstatus-25-49.png   ns-disconnect.png            window-manager.png
gnome-netstatus-50-74.png   ns-lock.png                  xkb-flags/
gnome-netstatus-75-100.png  ns-problem.png
root@porteus:~#
i upload it here Nemesis-LXDE-images.tar.bz2
and if you want i can try to search a new beautiful icons for window-manager.png and gnome-logout.png

BTW this Oranchelo icons by ZayronXio can be tested in XFCE. Who can test it?

If i have gramma mistekens, sorry about my English.

Regards,
Blaze
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

aus9

Post#144 by aus9 » 11 Jan 2016, 23:55

thanks to Blaze I can see his icon upload includes various network-status icons including as example

which is a percentage bar possibly the wlan strength bar?
and does not appear to be a replacement for the adwaita-icon-theme we discussed in 3.4 series for the missing radio buttons for the network applet to show if network is enabled or disabled or if wireless was enabled or disabled.

I was thinking we might get away with new icon theme and not needing adwaita but size of adwaita is
Total Download Size: 10.24 MiB
Total Installed Size: 23.96 MiB
I will install it and see what the icons are named
Last edited by aus9 on 12 Jan 2016, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#145 by brokenman » 11 Jan 2016, 23:57

I think you are mistaken. I'm hard test 16M Oranchelo iconset and all icons are present.
Excellent. I'm happy to be mistaken. You just made a lightweight OS even lighter. I will implement the iconset for LXDE. Thanks.

fullmoonremix

Post#146 by fullmoonremix » 12 Jan 2016, 00:05

Can you perhaps give me a real life scenario I can get my head around?
@brokenman... I revised my previous post. :wink:
Consider this real world example... OpenSSL has well documented exploits (eg. "compromised by design?").
So this begs the question... if you reboot (w/ fresh mode) a compromised binary don't those compromises also reboot?

However... if sandboxed with patches and/or nanokernels the exploits can be eliminated and/or contained.
And any errors introduced by inferior and/or malicious code will NOT destablize/crash the system (hence... "fault tolerance").
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... ned#p40847

Once again... (as previously indicated) Hardened Gentoo... Minix and AlpineLinux (Arch) use this approach.
Hardened Gentoo
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 12 Jan 2016, 21:07, edited 4 times in total.

aus9

Post#147 by aus9 » 12 Jan 2016, 00:25

post deleted adwaita icon theme updated below
Last edited by aus9 on 12 Jan 2016, 08:42, edited 2 times in total.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Post#148 by roadie » 12 Jan 2016, 01:47

@brokenman,

I tested the icon set on an Xfce with Nemesis 3.5....the menu displays huge icons for Graphics, Office, Logout, and others. The Office icon is about 2.5 centimetre high by 2 centimetre wide....quite large. The others are smaller, but not much. I also found that memory usage was increased, Thunar took a long time to open and browsing directories was very slow.

I didn't see which icons might be missing as I had to change back, most seem to be there.

aus9

Post#149 by aus9 » 12 Jan 2016, 02:49

edit

I had made an cut down adwaita-icon-theme but only just remembered that I had to delete changes from my previous download and installs so on reboot my cut down does not work. I think I know the reason why....I manually adjusted the .MTREE and .PKGINFO and those have not landed properly.

In pcmanfm at /var/cache/pacman/pkg it is not showing up as a "alpm" package type but as a x-xz-compressed-tar package type.

then when I reversed the unpack to see what happened....I found I lost my mtree and pkginfo stuff .....grrrr

FWIW .MTREE is a gunzipped file without an extension of gz.....when I first viewed it in mc....from unpacking the original adwaita xz file
mc can view the contents by clicking on F3 but I initially could not view it in a text editor.

It was not until I thought why not that I realized what it was.

I will attempt to fix my mistakes and hopefully provide a download link later
Last edited by aus9 on 12 Jan 2016, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#150 by brokenman » 13 Jan 2016, 01:26

Thanks. It is a purely .svg iconset which I was a little worried about but haven't had a chance to test it in XFCE. They look ok in LXDE.