Customize Chrome browser

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
meiilax
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: kiosk

Customize Chrome browser

Post#1 by meiilax » 13 Sep 2021, 19:15

Hi,

I use poretus kiosk in full screen mode and browser without address and navigation buttons bar.

How to customize Chrome browser "blocked message" page when user is out of whitelist pages a get page with message "The person who set up this computer has chosen to block this site" ?
Is any method how to edit the text of this message and mainly - how to add home button for back on homepage ? Or is solution with any Chrome extension ?

Thx for your help.

m

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Customize Chrome browser

Post#2 by fanthom » 14 Sep 2021, 16:52

Hello Meiilax,

I don't think it's possible to customize the blocked page in Chrome.

Perhaps you could use Firefox with our 'onscreen buttons' parameter?

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

meiilax
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: kiosk

Customize Chrome browser

Post#3 by meiilax » 14 Sep 2021, 17:40

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I know that Firefox has navigation buttons. But I'd like use Chrome for these reasons:

- Chrome is faster than Firefox
- Firefox hasn't touchscreen scroll native support. Only to add extension "Scroll Anywhere" and compile own ISO is a solution. But embeded pdf not works with touch scroll anyway and you have to use narrow sidebar for scrolling.
- in Firefox is no chance to hide toolbar in embeded pdf file container
- Firefox breaks fixed elements position in case of css "filter" parameter

Chrome is better browser for my public kiosk project where I use touchscreen on 50" TV. Unfortunately hasn't important home button in situation out of whitelist, and that's very important for me.

m

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Customize Chrome browser

Post#4 by fanthom » 15 Sep 2021, 11:52

1) Firefox can have native touch gestures support and hidden toolbar on PDFs in the customized build. I'm not sure about the CSS issues you have mentioned, maybe they are resolved in Firefox 91.x ?

2) Chrome can have onscreen buttons integrated but they are sometimes smaller or not visible at all depending on the website which you browse. That's why we do not include this feature by default in the wizard.
If you want to check if your webpage is compatible then please contact me through the customized kiosk builds service.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.