run_command remmina displays "The news are turned off" [solved]

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
f0084r
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Thinclient

Post#1 by f0084r » 16 Apr 2021, 13:01

I am working on a windows VDI deployment for my employer. We have been trying to find an open source solution to re-purpose our current aging desktops. Originally we were looking for a small PXE/USB boot solution to launch a web browser to attach to Apache Guacamole. That is when I remembered poking a stick at Porteus Kiosk a few years ago when implementing a timeclock solution. When looking into downloading it for testing, I discovered the Thinclient port. I figured, ok, another opensource/linux based thinclient. It's going to suck just like all the others I have tried. I was pleasently surprised! It worked flawlessly and did not require a lot of cursing and swearing to get it to connect to my MS VDI instances. Now configuring it to operate the way I want is a little more work, but I'm getting there. I have created the thinclient PXE image and tested it. No problem. My users are primarily MS Windows users, so I am trying to get the thinclient to launch a preconfigured remmina connection. I can accomplish this using the run_command. In fact the run_command from you documentation(https://porteus-kiosk.org/thinclient.ht ... ct_remmina) worked.

I have one issue, when the RDP connetion launches, I get a pop-up remmina window that states "The news is turned off....."

Is there anyway to stop this from happenning. When running the remmina gui and launching the connection, it does not happen. If I can get rid of this popup, I think I will have found a solution that will satisfy my employer, and we will start rolling out test instances to some our older worksstations, Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. Keep up the great work everyone! This distro rocks!!!! :punk: :punk: :punk:
Last edited by f0084r on 21 Apr 2021, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

run_command remmina displays "The news are turned off"

Post#2 by fanthom » 17 Apr 2021, 09:04

Hello f0084r,

Please generate your Remmina config files on Thin Client 5.2.0 version and update the files which you host on your server (the ones which are downloaded with 'run_command=').

Updated Remmina configs should disable this notification.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

f0084r
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by f0084r » 19 Apr 2021, 13:17

I tried that already a couple of times. I started looking through them, but then the weekend came along :D I will try again and also take a look at the files. If I can't find anything it in my settings file, is there away to upload them so that maybe you gurus and can find what I'm over looking?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 20 Apr 2021, 11:29

I have just tested this scenario and was getting the News window on the old 'remmina.prefs' file (created on older TC version).

Once i generated this file on ThinClient 5.2.0 the message did not appear.

You need to update your preferences file.

Thanks

f0084r
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by f0084r » 20 Apr 2021, 16:31

OK. Thanks I will try again.

f0084r
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by f0084r » 21 Apr 2021, 12:18

Sorry, I was never able to get it to work. As a work around,I removed the downloading of the remmina.pref file from my run_command. When using the stock remmina.pref file it works. I just can't save passwords, but that is ok. That was more of a administrative preference than a requirement. I think I have it working well enough to start rolling out a few beta testers. Everyone involved in the Porteus distribution and all of its different flavors, thank you for a great project! Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 21 Apr 2021, 12:30

I believe these are the preferences which disables the News feature, ensure you hvae them in your prefs file (login to TC over SSH and check if downloaded file has them):

Code: Select all

[remmina_news]
periodic_news_permitted=false
periodic_rmnews_last_get=0
periodic_rmnews_get_count=1
periodic_rmnews_uuid_prefix=