installing chrome extension

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
dbacig
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 5.1

Post#1 by dbacig » 28 Jan 2021, 03:27

Greeting from a newbie... I am using the Porteus server as a deployment method for several kiosk systems.
Q when using chrome as a browser for a kiosk can i download and install an extension (Tab Resize — Split Screen Layouts from groovy publishing) as part of the server deployment? Being a newbie I need some help understanding the syntax needed to get and install extensions

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 28 Jan 2021, 09:37

Hello dbacig,

You can add extensions to Chrome using kiosk remote config and Chrome policies (through our 'browser_preferences=' parameter) as explained here:
[Solved] Adding extensions to Chrome

Mind this will work only for kiosks with private mode disabled. In some cases you will also need to enable full persistence in order to keep the extension settings persistent.
Kiosk custom build has no such limitations.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

dbacig
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 5.1

Post#3 by dbacig » 04 Feb 2021, 03:55

Thank you for the direction... I am sorry I didn't respond quickly to say thanks for your help. If I may ask another question... after the initial parameters (first few) following [[GLOBAL]]down to the browser choice, is there a preferred order for the listing of parameters included in a [[GLOBAL]] config set or is there any particular dependency. I guess I'm asking too generic of a question, sorry, my goal would be to have a set of parameter groups I want to use to build out configs on the fly rather than using the wizard.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 04 Feb 2021, 07:55

Parameter orders does not matter.

However - if you double parameters in the GLOBAL (or PCID) section then only first one will be used by the system.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.