How do I login as admin?

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
usalabs
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk stand-a-lone

How do I login as admin?

Post#1 by usalabs » 30 Nov 2020, 11:19

OK, this is the scenario, I'm setting up porteus on a small old-ish 64 bit PC, and being Linux based and a stripped down version, I don't need that much memory or HD space, this is for a local cab company that only want their dispatchers to view the vehicle's GPS locations, so that they know where they are and how close they are to a pick up when one is called in, so, I installed and setup porteus with complete lockdown, and the only app running is Google Chrome with the GPS access via the GPS service, there are no tabs, navigation bar, address bar, no access to files, downloads, installs, and even no access to drives, such as CDROM, I even locked out the power off/reboot/logout/ and restart options, so the only thing now that happens is when the PC is turned on, and porteus boots up, there is no login screen and it goes straight to the GPS maps, now here's the kicker, I read through the instructions on setting it up and what each setting does, but there is nothing anywhere on how an admin can login to change anything without rebooting.

What should happen is this, the company boss calls me and asks if I can install an extra something that the GPS company supplied, and without having to reboot, or hold any keys while rebooting, or even reboot and press a sequence of keys, I need to just approach the PC, then press some hotkeys that would open the admin login screen, then I would login, do some stuff, logout, refresh the browser and the PC would be back to it's locked down state to as if I had just got there.

Is this possible?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

How do I login as admin?

Post#2 by fanthom » 30 Nov 2020, 13:31

Hello usalabs,

There is no such function implemented. Adding software to kiosk requires manual ISO customization.

You can only change kiosk parameters if you enable remote management:
https://porteus-kiosk.org/remote-management.html

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

usalabs
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk stand-a-lone

How do I login as admin?

Post#3 by usalabs » 01 Dec 2020, 11:10

ok,, thanks, now according to the config text file, it says to add a printer then a block of text is needed, but at the end of that text is this:-

printer_connection=lpd:/ip_address/queue

I have no idea what the /queue is, because the network printer my office uses always use just the LAN IP address without anything appended, would it still work if I omit the /queue?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

How do I login as admin?

Post#4 by fanthom » 01 Dec 2020, 18:58

Different printers have different URIs.

Please refer to the printer documentation or query manufacturer support to find it.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.