Wake a DPMS idle screen remotely?

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
sebastian
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#1 by sebastian » 11 Aug 2019, 12:18

If the main screen is sleeping due to DPMS-idle, is it possible in some way to wake it remotely?
Either as a script fetched during boot via the boot command function, and then polling a server to determite if it should wake the screen, or sending a command via SSH.

The reason I ask, is that I would want to remotely be able to wake the screen upon a incoming event (to show a message on-screen) but still have it to sleep after like 15 minutes of inactivity since the screen is pretty power hungry (its a MultiQ MQ219 B-25 touch screen with eGalax resistive touch controller)

Best would be to generate a click event at like 0,0 so I can also reset the inacitivity timer if I want for example the system to be always-on until the message is dismissed.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#2 by fanthom » 11 Aug 2019, 14:10

Hello sebastian,

Please run this command over SSH and check if that works:

Code: Select all

xdotool mousemove 0 0
Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

sebastian
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by sebastian » 12 Aug 2019, 16:40

that did work. Now I know what to do next, some script in run_command that will periodically poll my server and decide if wakeing is required.

However, if you do "xdotool mousemove 0 0", and then screen sleeps again, then "xdotool mousemove 0 0" will not of course wake it up again because pointer is already at 0,0. Thus you have to first run xdotool mousemove 1 1, then xdotool mousemove 0 0.

Now I made a oneliner that im about to enter as run_command, should check if it works:

echo -e "while sleep 15\ndo\nif wget -q -O - http://192.168.1.10:6970/wakeup.txt | grep -q '1'; then\nxdotool mousemove 1 1\nxdotool mousemove 0 0\nsleep 580\nfi\ndone" > /usr/bin/checkwake.sh && chmod 777 /usr/bin/checkwake.sh && /usr/bin/checkwake.sh &

seems that is a more neat solution than have a webscript connect to SSH everytime I want a wakeup.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 12 Aug 2019, 19:56

Great - thank you for sharing.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.