Issue with Connecting New Client

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
TXiAccess
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kiosk 4.6.0

Post#1 by TXiAccess » 25 Jul 2019, 20:46

I am having issue with connecting a new kiosk client to my server. Here's the scenario:

- I have my server running here in the office on a Static IP, port forwarding 443 to the local port 443. My server is fully updated, on premium.
- I have 2 clients running in remote remote locations that have been running and connected to my server for the last year. They are on versions 4.6 and 4.7.

Today I was setting up a new kiosk PC to install in a 3rd remote location. Right before I did this, I did something stupid and accidentally wiped my server. So I reinstalled the server and everything looked fine, my 2 clients came up as online immediately. I then restored a backup (an older one from last year as I haven't changed anything in a while) which restored my logs and remote configuration file to the server.

So I continued with setting up my new kiosk in the exact same way I've done all the others. I choose the option to point it to a configuration file on the server, I input the name of the config file 'server://group1config.txt' and then the server as '74.87.xx.xx:443'. I connect to the same wifi network during setup that I have always used and it's able to reach the porteus site during setup with no issue, so connectivity doesn't seem to be an issue.

When the kiosk reboots, however, it spends a long time with the blank porteus startup screen and then eventually comes up and says it couldn't connect to the server or the config file.

I have done everything I can think of:

- Reinstalled the kiosk, including going back to version 4.7 instead of 4.8 during one reinstall
- I have checked and even re-done the port forward - this resulted in the current 2 clients dropping offline when I deleted the port forward and they came back immediately once I put it back, so there seems to be no issue with that
- I have checked that the config file is on the server
- I've carefully checked all of my typing for errors - I've done this several times over

Nothing works and I cannot get the new client to reach the server/config file. It never shows up in the client list and never applies the config file settings. Eventually, it just errors out every time and then just opens the browser (which does load fine).

It's almost like the kiosk server is blocking the connection but I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Is there a certain parameter I missed or chose the wrong setting for during re-install of the server? Whatever is going on, it doesn't affect the current clients out in the field. As I said, they popped up immediately even before I restored the backup. The kiosk firewall settings are on the default.

Thanks for any help!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 26 Jul 2019, 03:28

Hello TXiAccess,

Please follow troubleshooting steps from here:
https://porteus-kiosk.org/server.html#troubleshooting

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.