Remote config not loading; Possible cert problem

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
upgrad3
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk and Server

Post#1 by upgrad3 » 02 Apr 2019, 17:28

Hey Everyone,

So I'm new here and I'm testing out the regular Kiosk distro with remote management using the Premium Server (Trial). The problem is, when I boot up my client the config doesn't load, but the client shows up in the Admin Console on my server. Just for testing I'm using this for the 'config.txt':

##
kiosk_server=x.x.x.x:443
kiosk_config=server://config.txt
client_id=automatic
connection=wired
dhcp=yes

I'm thinking it might be a certificate error because if you browse to the URL for the config, I get a cert error and can't install the client cert. I browsed around the forum and didn't see anything like this so I thought I'd post the question. It seems to me that the remote management works out of the box which is why I'm a little confused.

I really like the product and really want to get it working so any help is greatly appreciated!

I'd post the debug logs, but I looked through them and didn't see anything that jumps out, but I can post them if I need to.

Thanks in advance!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 02 Apr 2019, 17:49

Hello upgrad3,

Clients communicate with the server using SSH protocol (embedded into SSL to bypass firewalls/proxy, etc) so you must have SSH enabled in your remote config.

This would be minimum configuration hosted on PK Server:

Code: Select all

connection=wired
dhcp=yes
kiosk_server=domain.com:443
kiosk_config=server://config.txt
client_id=automatic
root_password=some_password
vnc_password=some_password
vnc_interactive=yes
additional_components=08-ssh.xzm 09-x11vnc.xzm
If still no luck with gettign remote management to work then please contact with support@porteus-kiosk.org and provide an access to your desktop (using e.g. TeamViewer) from which i should be able to reach:
a) your PK Server over VNC
b) kiosk client over SSH

Once i get the access i should be able to resolve this problem in less than 5 mins.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

upgrad3
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by upgrad3 » 02 Apr 2019, 19:11

Hi fanthom, thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to give this a try in a bit and let you know. Thanks again

upgrad3
Ronin
Ronin

Post#4 by upgrad3 » 02 Apr 2019, 19:22

Ah, success!!

I think the problem was I had 2 "additional_componets=" lines, one for SSH and one for VNC. I added both to one line and I get the config. Thanks a lot!! :D