[SOLVED] Shutdown shut down

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
bibblan
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kiosk 4.7x

[SOLVED] Shutdown shut down

Post#1 by bibblan » 06 Nov 2018, 10:11

Hello everyone,

I am new as of little more than a week ago to Porteus. Newbie to Linux too so forgive me if I don't understand much more than ls. I have made a first installation of Porteus Kiosk on a PC running our library catalogue, and it has been doing a flawless job, apart from one small snag. When I ran the Wizard installing the Kiosk I (at least I was convinced I did) set an automatic shut down process to run every evening at 9pm. To my knowledge this worked from Friday 26 October and until last Friday, 2 November. But yesterday, Monday, it was still up and running although it should have been turned off Friday evening, the library was closed Saturday so nobody would be turning it back on and we are not open on Sundays, so the process should have been off-off-off, before being switched on again yesterday. It did not shut down properly yesterday evening either, because it was still running this morning. Something appears to have gone wrong, where do I start?

Cheers
Last edited by bibblan on 13 Nov 2018, 10:11, edited 2 times in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Shutdown shut down

Post#2 by fanthom » 06 Nov 2018, 11:53

Hello bibblan,

1) please ensure the system time is correct, you can check it on this website:
http://www.uize.com/examples/digital-clock.html

if its not correct then please ask your network admin for unblocking NTP protocol in your organization's firewall.

2) if you dont have 'remote management' enabled then you'll have to reinstall the kiosk. Please make sure you enter correct hours to the 'scheduled_actions=' parameter:
https://porteus-kiosk.org/parameters.ht ... led_action

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

bibblan
White ninja
White ninja

Shutdown shut down

Post#3 by bibblan » 07 Nov 2018, 11:08

Since this is just a test run to see if Porteus can replace our old system, and since it is a kiosk that has no communication outside our library system that show no time on screen, what would be the need for the NTP protocol? I do understand that over time a system clock will go out of sync, but it shouldn't go lost in a week right? Our problem isn't that the machine shuts down at the wrong time, but that it doesn't shut down what so ever. I checked when installing that I had the correct time.

I should add that I have not enabled remote management. Should things go bananas I will reinstall the kiosk. That takes much less time than figuring out Linux and remot admin, time that I don't have right now.

Cheers

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Shutdown shut down

Post#4 by fanthom » 07 Nov 2018, 12:34

"That takes much less time than figuring out Linux and remot admin, time that I don't have right now."
When remote management is enabled you just edit kiosk config file, same as you would do manually in the wizard window:
https://porteus-kiosk.org/screens/wizard/config.png

Anyway - please reinstall your kiosk, set it up with the very same settings but enable debug mode (need the full log rather than short log) in the wizard:
https://porteus-kiosk.org/screens/news/ ... report.png

Once your kiosk boot up please copy generated report and send it to support@porteus-kiosk.org

Thank you.

bibblan
White ninja
White ninja

Shutdown shut down

Post#5 by bibblan » 07 Nov 2018, 14:48

Will do, as soon as there is time for it.

A question rather related to the forum. I need to login to the forum to see this thread and your replies, is that a bug or a feature?

Thanks a bunch

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Shutdown shut down

Post#6 by fanthom » 07 Nov 2018, 16:42

"I need to login to the forum to see this thread and your replies"
Tested and this is not true.

bibblan
White ninja
White ninja

Shutdown shut down

Post#7 by bibblan » 08 Nov 2018, 10:12

Ah, I see my thread has been moved to the Kiosk Q/A. Being a newbie I was unsure if I should put it in the Newbie or Kiosk forum. I guess, now I know.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Shutdown shut down

Post#8 by Ed_P » 08 Nov 2018, 15:30

Hi bibblan. I was the one that moved your thread. Sorry that it confused you. :oops:

If you use the small Active topics link at the top of the forum's General display it will help you find your postings quicker.
Ed

bibblan
White ninja
White ninja

Shutdown shut down [SOLVED]

Post#9 by bibblan » 13 Nov 2018, 10:11

Not to worry Ed_P, as long as things end up where they should be, all is well. And! I will have to come crawling on my knees begging for forgiveness anyway. :worthy: It was by no means Porteus that messed with our kiosk but a sneaky BIOS setting: "BIOS Power-On", that unbeknownst to me had been enabled early in this batch of computers life. This powers on your PC, regardless if there is a network connection or not.

Now that I have found it, we can start using it to our advantage and not just shutting off the kiosk when we want to, but also switching it on again at a useful hour.

Cheers!