Printing to multiple locations

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
bigbas
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus ThinClient

Post#1 by bigbas » 13 Apr 2018, 09:24

Hi

I am working in a school on a big thin client project and have installed Porteus Thinclient.
We are running Citrix Xendesktop for all of the students virtual machines and we just need a locked down thin clients web browser that points to our Citrix Storefront login page.
This has been achieved with Firefox and the Citrix desktops run well after the students login.
Having setup a lot of the config and going through these forums, i believe this great bit of software will be a perfect fit for the school.

However, i have hit a road block and am after some expert advice regarding printing.
Our classrooms have a network printer in each and i will need to map the thinclients in that room to that printer.

I.E. all of the students logging into the thin clients in room 1 should print to the room 1 networked printer, and so on.

I have setup a centralised config file that all of the thinclients read upon boot but cannot see how this will work.

all of the thinclients will need a different Hostname parameter so they can be mapped to the relevant printer name somehow.

how can i split a central config file for multiple rooms with multiple networked printers?

any help on this would be really appreciated.

thanks

Brendan

bigbas
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus ThinClient

Post#2 by bigbas » 13 Apr 2018, 13:49

I think i might have found the solution with GLOBAL and NESTED configurations, reading a lot more about it. :good: