How do I restore the allow list and block list?

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Serobu
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#1 by Serobu » 04 Jul 2023, 09:07

I manage my kiosks (standard and Cloud, versions 5.2 and 5.3) remotely by providing the config file through a server. Unfortunately I lost
  1. the config file
  2. the backups of the config file
  3. and my documentation. :ouch:
In the thread Kiosk Config File Retrieval I read that the only way to restore the file is through paid support. Is this still the case?

Can I at least restore the allow list in Firefox (Porteus Kiosk standard) and the block list in Google Chrome (Porteus Kiosk Cloud)? I remember that the allow list is done with CSS rules.

I have not enabled the SSH module, so I cannot SSH into the kiosk.

But I have a Live-Linux USB drive and have already booted a kiosk with it to look for a copy of the config file.

The "settings" xzm SquashFS seemed promising, but after loop mounting that file I couldn't find the config file there.
Last edited by Serobu on 04 Jul 2023, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#2 by fanthom » 04 Jul 2023, 13:07

Hello Serobu,

Kiosks are often deployed in the public places. For this reason the kiosk config is encrypted.
We cannot tell you how to decrypt it as it would put the sensitive data (wifi/ssh/vnc passwords) in danger.

I hope its clear now.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Serobu
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by Serobu » 21 Sep 2023, 12:26

Thank you for your reply. I have now reinstalled the systems and written a new configuration file. I want to add [Solved] to the thread title, but I cannot edit my post.