Firefox browser preference file

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
fenrir0wulf
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: OpenSUSE

Post#1 by fenrir0wulf » 12 May 2023, 19:26

Hi, new to Porteus Kiosk. I managed to get everything working like I want it to with exactly one exception.
In Firefox, I want to disable the pop up that prevents leaving the page when it detects something not saved, which is the setting user_pref("dom.disable_beforeunload", true);
Now, according to the config wizard, the way to do this is to have a text file on an external server linked in the config with browser_preferences.
However, it's just absolutely not practical to have an external host for a single line text file just for this config. Even making a VM ourselves is just a waste of resources.
So the questions are:
A) Is it actually the only way to be able to modify those browser settings?
B) Does the text absolutely have to be hosted externally or can it simply be in the file system of the kiosk?
C) If so, how do I make that happen? I'm guessing by using the permanence setting.

Thanks

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 13 May 2023, 06:50

Hello fenrir0wulf,

If this is a single preference then you can inject it to the Firefox's pref.js using 'run_command=' parameter:

Code: Select all

run_command=echo 'user_pref("dom.disable_beforeunload", true);' >> $profile/prefs.js
Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.