Using Firefox to load abcmouse.com

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
jhanson1979
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk 5.4.0

Post#1 by jhanson1979 » 27 Jan 2023, 20:55

Hello Josh here and I am needing some help. I work for a public library and I am trying to set up a kiosk where the address bar is removed and all they have access to is the back and forward buttons. We have severl computers setup for the kids and I created a google site that had the link to an educational site abcmouse.com as well as a bunch of other kid frendlt sites. Navigating through my site and the other sites work fine but when I try to go to abcmouse.com I can select my avatar and age level but then games doesn't load. When I tried just using Firefox on my work pc abcmouse.com works fine and it works on Porteus kiosk using Chrome. I would be okay using Chrome but I don't want the kids to have access to be able to go to just any site. I could remove the whole bar but I need the forward and back buton. I appreciate in advance for any help and advice on how I can set this up.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 28 Jan 2023, 13:33

Hello Josh,

Please enable free trial of the updates service and check if updated Firefox works on this webpage.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

jhanson1979
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by jhanson1979 » 30 Jan 2023, 14:45

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion and that didn't work either. I thought it might have been because I was in private mode so I tried firefox on my computer running windows 11 in private mode and it worked fine as well.it looks like Porteus Kiosk uses Firefox version 91.7.1 and my computer has version 109.0. I just wonder if the website doesn't support the older version of the browser. Also if I try to start a new session using the navigation buttions in abcmouse the browser freezes up. Thanks for your help.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 30 Jan 2023, 16:27

"it looks like Porteus Kiosk uses Firefox version 91.7.1 and my computer has version 109.0"
Thats why I asked you to enable free trial of the updates service as we have Firefox 102.x available in the updates channel.

"Also if I try to start a new session using the navigation buttions in abcmouse the browser freezes up."
Maybe your PC is not compatible with linux (drivers problem). Please boot latest ubuntu and check if it works OK.

Thanks

jhanson1979
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by jhanson1979 » 30 Jan 2023, 17:54

I downloaded the latest iso on your website version 5.4 and followed the promps enabeling the free trial. The firefox version is with the latest update. I went through the setup process and when I got the option to enable the free trial I did and when I restarted the computer it poped up checking for updates. It found some updates and installed them. Now every time I boot the system it says up to date. I apologize if i am doing something wrong.

I have used the latest version of Ubuntu with no problem I was jusat looking for a Kiosk system that was locked down and this was the perfect option. Thanks again for replying.

jhanson1979
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by jhanson1979 » 30 Jan 2023, 21:50

solved

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 31 Jan 2023, 08:21

OK - great.

Too bad you did not share a solution which could help others ...

diggerak
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 5.5.0

Post#8 by diggerak » 20 Dec 2023, 01:12

What was your solution? We've been struggling with this for months without success. We've tried different hardware, install configs, trial installs for most current FF versions, still no luck. It freezes after a short time, every time.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#9 by Ed_P » 20 Dec 2023, 14:45

At $12.99/mo maybe Firefox is rejecting the site as SPAM. Or maybe you didn't pay your monthly fee. Or your $45 per year fee expired.
Ed