Screensaver from usb thumb drive

'User made' tutorials related to Porteus Kiosk edition.
Official kiosk documentation can be find here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
fhinke
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 5.4

Post#1 by fhinke » 19 Aug 2022, 22:52

A Linux/Porteus newbie though I used Unix 35+ years ago for a couple of years. I have successfully built a kiosk using the wizard without a screensaver pointing at a well-known (for me) website and it performed exactly as expected. Looking at the kiosk wizard document, I am not sure this is possible since the documentation doesn’t provide a ‘file:///’ example though it does for the video screen saver. I would like to have the screensaver slide show hosted on a thumb drive plugged into the kiosk hardware. Thumb drive is FAT formatted, file name is FTC_2021.zip, the images are all jpgs, file size is less than 1MB, and there are no other files on the thumb drive. Added what I hope is the correct mount command:
mount /dev/sdc1 /media
using the wizard ‘run command’ feature and
screensaver_archive=file:///media/FTC_2021.zip
Note there are 2 other hard drives in the target system which has a 5th generation I3 processor with 8GB of RAM. At boot up I get an error message:
“Server is not accessible or file is not present on it”. With enable_file_protocol=yes I can see /media but nothing below that.
Thanks in advance for your help

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 20 Aug 2022, 11:29

Hello fhinke,

Running screensaver from the USB stick is not officially supported.

You may try these parameters:

Code: Select all

screensaver_archive=file:///media/FTC_2021.zip
run_command=sed -i 's/pkget/pkgett' /opt/scripts/screensaver-slideshow; mount /dev/sdc1 /media; cp -a /media/FTC_2021.zip /opt/scripts/files/arch.zip; umount /media
Not sure if it will work though ...

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.