Super Awesome!

Please post in this category if you are extremely happy with Porteus.
WARNING: This section may contain strong language.
ajaxStardust
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 5.12.14

Super Awesome!

Post#1 by ajaxStardust » 24 Sep 2021, 01:47

Hi there. Just installed Porteus to a USB stick, and it rocks! I can't believe how smooth and fast it runs... and i'm not even running it from RAM!

Now I just have to decide if I, starting out with Fedora mid 2000's, gravitating toward the 'buntu's, then mostly Mint so I'm mostly familiar w/ Debian based I guess. I understand this is Slackware based. I will probably come back to Porteus, but I admit I am a bit intimidated that I'll have to learn a differnt approach.

For now, it's super awesome for safely inspecting my Windows drives! Thank you so much!
:)
Best I can advise you? Select quoted text. Right-click; search:
"Who is @ajaxStardust?"

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Super Awesome!

Post#2 by Bicephale » 24 Sep 2021, 15:49

From what i could gather these last few months the Porteus project suffers from too much chopping for no reason i can imagine as USB flash drives reached capacities quite beyond any "live" requirements, so when i tried it on my CherryTrail problems immediately showed up, my only alternative being actually APorteus which brought some fair impression of fresh air. Me too i was looking for speed improvements compared to slower distributions but it seems i'm stuck with Linuxium and/or Xubuntu; those are well-featured environments with good applications supply but the Porteus/Slax Copy2RAM feature would probably have got an edge, provided i can ever manage to flash a USB drive which will actually pass the boot challenge until the end. The only solution being to contact the maintainer in private and offer to buy some customized version(s) i guess...

Kapla! :hi: