Thankyou Porteus!

Please post in this category if you are extremely happy with Porteus.
WARNING: This section may contain strong language.
Cobai
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Thankyou Porteus!

Post#1 by Cobai » 22 Jan 2016, 23:26

Hey all, i'm a newbie when it comes to linux, always liked the idea, never had the motivation! :)

My laptop threw a wobbly and the HDD has been un-useable for sometime, ive put off trying to fix it for ages but recently decided why not try a live linux on it and just run from RAM.

What a great idea it's been, i've so far successfully configure a USB stick for full persistent useage - i've managed to setup access to my windows server (mount cifs was a life saver - the firewall had me stumped for bit!) and got it running on a script to automount, in bash code(probably the simplest script ever but it works :D) - i've even got Dropbox downloaded and built FROM SOURCE, which is something i NEVER thought i would be able to do!

I'm learning so much and having a blast doing it!

All in all i'm VERY happy with this distribution, it fits my needs perfectly and i hope in time i'll be able to contribute to the discussions and help other users out :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Thankyou Porteus!

Post#2 by brokenman » 23 Jan 2016, 00:24

i've even got Dropbox downloaded and built FROM SOURCE, which is something i NEVER thought i would be able to do!
Impressive! Well done. Porteus is slackware based and by learning the ins and outs of slackware you are learning how linux in general works.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Cobai
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Re: Thankyou Porteus!

Post#3 by Cobai » 23 Jan 2016, 15:59

I'm just glad you included a popup message in the terminal about the dev package required else I'd of been scratching my head :D

I'm gonna start poking my head around bash scripts and such soon and see what other cool stuff I can do :D