Successfully installed Porteus without needing ext4 part

Please post in this category if you are extremely happy with Porteus.
WARNING: This section may contain strong language.
gnintilgyes
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Debian

Post#1 by gnintilgyes » 02 Oct 2022, 06:12

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in, but I wanted to share the good news.

I've had Porteus v5.0 MATE for about two months at least. At first I used it on a slow 16GB USB disk but I was compelled to transfer it to a larger, faster disk and create a 8GB "ext4" partition for "/porteus".

Now I'm using this same exact small disk for another installation, Porteus Cinnamon, and the whole thing is formatted FAT32! I store MP3 files for music that I play back on a battery-powered portable speaker.

I created the "savefile" as I was instructed in the documentation. However, editing the "(volumelabel)/porteus/porteus_5.0_x64.cfg" (not exact name) didn't work. I was forced to edit the "porteus.cfg" within "(volumelabel)/boot" to set the "changes" to the full path of the "savefile", and append "/porteus". It works, but the drawback is that if I want to use another "savefile" I have to go back and edit it. What's important is that it works.

I have to add that I ran the "Porteus Savefile Manager" to create the "savefile", and after it finished, it gave a message saying, "verify that the right entry for changes is put at the end of the configuration file". (Not the exact text.) Then it opened the text editor as if it were started anew. Then when I opened the configuration on "(volumelabel)/porteus" it was left totally unchanged.

I didn't have to run the "com" file to copy the bootloader. Anyway I was on a different Linux and the "com" kept failing to unpack itself while run as the superuser. Otherwise it kept coming up with "/dev/media" as install destination. I gave up because I didn't want to risk it. This disk I created was already bootable and works well. Thank you Porteus team. <3

gnintilgyes
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Debian

Post#2 by gnintilgyes » 05 Oct 2022, 02:07

LOL just discovered different flavors of Slackware live DVD... such as the "DAW" version. Had some trouble getting an installation with persistence.

I had used Ubuntu Studio for a few weeks after "Jammy Jellyfish" release but was forced to take it off my computer's slow HDD for obvious reasons. But I'm weird because I require an external USB disk, which could be even slower, to hold a similar distro.

Let's just say I don't care what the upcoming v22.10 brings... more bugs LOL? Although this "Liveslack DAW" doesn't "feel" like Slackware to me, maybe they removed a lot of stuff from 1990's and decade-2000's. Eh it might be because the only desktop environment is Plasma, just like Ubuntu Studio. I wasn't supposed to know how Slackware "feels like" LOL but I wanted to install the original v15 so much and wasn't permitted by my equipment... wanted to see the two penguins with the messages scrolling below while the system started. Long live the Slack!