Porteus Kiosk 5.0.0 with newer version of busybox

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Samoht
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Porteus Kiosk 5.0.0 with newer version of busybox

Post#1 by Samoht » 30 Aug 2020, 15:46

I've been working with the Kiosk variant for a while now and love it! I use this to help my wife with setting up check-in stations for the church she works at. They've implemented some new label printers and printing process that requires installation of a Java based process to format the labels (it's called qz-tray found at qz.io). I've been able to get qz-tray working on an Ubuntu system and I'm trying to duplicate this within Porteus-Kiosk.

I've been able to create a new module (called it ccb.xzm) with the qz-tray software along with a JRE bundle. This works fine. The problem I'm having is running the qz-tray installation process. The install script is looking for additional shell commands (awk, logname) that are not supported by the busybox version native to the Porteus-Kiosk 5.0.0 ISO. I've attempted to rebuild initrd.xz with a newer version of busybox (version 1.31.0) which have the needed commands. I can successfully boot from the USB stick but the installation process never actually starts. Just hangs at the Porteus Kiosk start screen.

What kind of debugging can I activate to see what is hanging/not running correctly? Also, if you have some other ideas on how to address my installation challenges, that would be great. TIA for the help!