Firefox change language adding language-pack extension

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
aboupastis
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 5.0.0

Post#1 by aboupastis » 27 Aug 2020, 16:55

Hi,
I'm trying to change Firefox default language.
Taking a look to some firefox documentation, I proceeded adding the proper extension (langpack-it@firefox.mozilla.org.xpi) in the profile folder (/home/guest/.mozilla/firefox/c3pp43bg.default/extensions).

I also added this line in the pref.js file in the profile folder:

user_pref("general.useragent.locale", "it");

Obviously I added all this in an xzm module and made my ISO.

Everything is there were expected (I checked with ssh), but still not working.

Did I miss something? Could you please help me with this?

Let me know, thank you.

Stefano Prosperi.

Reformedxfuture
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Linux

Post#2 by Reformedxfuture » 28 Jun 2023, 19:05

Hi ,
i'm getting the same issue , when i try my firefox porteus kiosk profile on the client , language is ok.
After mksquashing , i check the files with ssh , its all with what i want but in reality it's still english ( some web pages are in english and the date format as well )

any fix ? thx

Reformedxfuture
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Linux

Post#3 by Reformedxfuture » 05 Jul 2023, 14:37

Hi ,
Sorry for the Up.

i'm really losing it.

i tried everything :

editing : /home/user/iso/xzm/squashfs-root/etc/profile.d/lang.sh

#!/bin/sh

# System locale:

export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8

export LC_COLLATE=C

Then going into prefs.js and adding all the lines related to language :
user_pref("intl.accept_languages", "fr-fr");

user_pref("intl.locale.requested", "fr-FR");

copying a language pack then adding to prefs.js :
user_pref("extensions.bootstrappedAddons", "{langpack-fr@firefox.mozilla.org:{\"version\":\"1.0\",\"type\":\"locale\",\"descriptor\":\"/home/guest/.mozilla/firefox/c3pp43bg.default/extensions/langpack-fr@firefox.mozilla.org.xpi\"}}");

Still nothing , once i mksquash and launch my iso , firefox is still in english and i see date format in english as well.

Please anyone can enlight me ? i'm not just asking for help , i tried a lot of different settings and spent hours. Even a hint would be great

thank you