Adding skype module to Porteus Kiosk

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
manos
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus-Kiosk-5.0.0-x86_64

Post#1 by manos » 18 Jun 2020, 15:39

Hello there.

I'm new to porteus and slackware distros and i need some help if it's possible.
We are a small business and Porteus-Kiosk-5.0.0-x86_64 seems a pretty decent OS for our needs.
So far so good but what we need also is to make it possible for the users to use skypeforlinux because is essential for our kind of work.

Reading through the documentation i found that is possible to implement extra modules at xzm directory that is found inside the iso and then recreate the iso with that new module in it.
I followed the instruction on the documentation but for creating a skype module i followed these steps:

I used another live cd Porteus-KDE-v5.0rc1-x86_64 for creating the skype module.
Downloaded the skypeforlinux.deb from skype website. I then converted this skypeforlinux.deb to a module xzm with the tool that was inside the KDE Porteus distro deb2xzm.
It converted correctly the deb to xzm module.. I copied this module to xzm directory and after that i executed the make_iso.sh bash script and it managed to create the iso with the new skype.xzm module inside it.

After all these steps that i did, i wanna ask.. what should i do next to make the skype possible to run on Porteus Kiosk client version.
If I use free updates on last step on kiosk installation wizard, it shows module skypeforlinux-64.xzm is an unauthorized module, but if i choose basic on last step( no updates) it doesnt show any error messages, but still skype doesn't run, or we cant seem to find any trigger to run it,
Is it possible to make such a thing work like open skype in startup or smth similar?

Thanks in advance..

P.s
First thing i wanna mention is that i managed to install the skype at Porteus-KDE-v5.0rc1-x86_64.
Next step i grabbed the skype xzm module that worked on Porteus-KDE-v5.0 and put it on xzm directory that is on Porteus-Kiosk iso as i said above.
Plus what i did next was unsquashed 003-settings.xzm, entered to /opt/scripts/ and appended the gui-app file and wrote next to the line

Code: Select all

su - guest -c "firefox"
su - guest -c "skypeforlinux"
Next i copied all the contents of the 003-settings.xzm that had with the modified part to a directory called /tmp/fakeroot/.
After that i run the command

mksquashfs /tmp/fakeroot/ /tmp/003-settings.xzm -comp xz -b 256K -Xbcj x86 -noappend 
Replaced the previous 003-settings.xzm from the iso with the new one created, next I created the iso with the script make_iso.sh
After that the last thing I did i run the command: isohybrid Porteus-Kiosk.iso

I tried that iso but still the skype doesn't start.
Please can anybody tell me what should i do or if its possible to install skype on porteus kiosk.

Thanks again!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 18 Jun 2020, 19:03

manos,

1) Do you want to run the skype instead of the browser? If yes then replace "firefox" with "skypeforlinux" in gui-app file.

2) In order to troubleshoot skype issues you need to login to the kiosk over SSH and start the app from the terminal.
Hopefully you'll see some error messages then. If not then check skype logs (if they exist).

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

manos
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by manos » 19 Jun 2020, 09:19

I did a search for skype logs and found this message inside skype-startup.log file:

/usr/share/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux: error while loading shared libraries: libcups.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Could you please explain me how to import this library inside porteus kiosk?
Thanks!

manos
Ronin
Ronin

Post#4 by manos » 19 Jun 2020, 10:00

Update:

I imported the libcups.so.2 from Porteus-KDE-v5.0cr1-x86_64.iso to Porteus-Kiosk and at least the skype as app finally opens up perfectly,
but.. now I have another problem.
It shows me a message that says: Unable to sing in, please check your internet connection and try again skype
What i did was, first i went to my ubuntu machine were i use skypeforlinux and made this command

netstat -antup | grep skype
And shows this output on console

tcp        0      0 192.168.2.91:48968      68.232.34.200:443       ESTABLISHED 2262/skypeforlinux  
tcp        0      0 192.168.2.91:57212      52.149.21.60:443        ESTABLISHED 2262/skypeforlinux  
tcp        0      0 192.168.2.91:57294      52.149.21.60:443        ESTABLISHED 2262/skypeforlinux  
tcp        0      0 192.168.2.91:59698      52.114.158.53:443       ESTABLISHED 2262/skypeforlinux  
tcp        0      0 192.168.2.91:41366      13.94.102.123:443       ESTABLISHED 2262/skypeforlinux  
At the other hand, when i run the same command at porteus-kiosk terminal.. it doesn't show nothing.
What could the problem be?

At least I'm enthusiast that i managed to open skype but it seems that im not done yet. :x

P.S
The internet connection is fine cuz i can surf the web with firefox-mozilla

tagon
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus-kiosk

Post#5 by tagon » 30 Nov 2020, 17:47

Could be a firewall issue, please see here for the networking options https://porteus-kiosk.org/parameters.ht ... k_settings. :book: