Solved - Modifying settings in ISO, then the ISOs won't work with server

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
slammers
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 4.8.0

Solved - Modifying settings in ISO, then the ISOs won't work with server

Post#1 by slammers » 26 Aug 2019, 20:04

Hello,

I've run into an issue where I've made changes to files in the settings.xzm file but afterward the ISOs don't work with the server. I've done 2 sets of settings changes and neither of them will work when trying to connect to the server. The ISO downloaded with no modifications joins to the server fine, and all of the standard customizations work fine. I can remotely reboot, change homepage, monitor, etc., no problem. If I create the Kiosk client using the customized ISO, I cannot even get it to register with the server. The config file I'm using for both instances is the same, located on a web server. I am betting it's a certificate problem, but I don't know how to fix it and I have not found anyone having similar problems in the forum.

In a nutshell, I need the F12 button removed from the blocked shortcuts in /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml and the chrome.json to have "DeveloperToolsAvailability": 1 set, and still have the ability to re-squash the files and do the make_iso.sh to create the new images. Is there something I'm missing?

After running the make_iso.sh script, the images work fine on their own, with whatever configuration I try. It's just they do not work with the server. The process I'm using to change the files in the settings.xzm files is below. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Download ISO Porteus-Kiosk-4.8.0-x86_64.iso

Unpack ISO file in Windows and copy all files to Linux station, or copy ISO to Linux station and unpack there. I've tried both.

unsquashfs 003-settings.xzm
go into squashfs-root
nano rc.xml to change the F12 key block, then save file.
rm 003-settings.xzm -delete the old settings file
mksquashfs squashfs-root 003-settings.xzm -comp xz -b 256K -Xbcj x86 -noappend - Create the replacement 003-settings.xzm file.

bash make_iso.sh - create the image file

isohybrid Porteus-Kiosk.iso
isohybrid -u Porteus-Kiosk.iso

Move the image back to Windows box to burn the image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Last edited by slammers on 29 Aug 2019, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Modifying settings in ISO, then the ISOs won't work with server

Post#2 by fanthom » 26 Aug 2019, 21:01

Hello Scott,

Would need to get an access to your ISO in order to find a definite answer why custom ISO cant join the server.
Probably its file permissions related.

Anyway - you could use 'run_command=' parameter to modify both files with 'sed' instead of manually customizing the ISO:

Code: Select all

run_command=sed -i 's/ F12//' /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml; openbox --reconfigure; sed -i 's/"DeveloperToolsAvailability": 2,/"DeveloperToolsAvailability": 1,/' $json
Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

slammers
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by slammers » 28 Aug 2019, 14:44

Thank you Fanthom for your response. Sorry I just got this today.

I have 2 different ISO images, one for Chrome and one for Firefox. I only changed one file in each of those images. What permissions would I look at if it was a permission problem; the permissions on the single file I changed, or the 003-settings.xzm file. What's odd is it works fine outside of trying to connect to the server.

How could I get the custom iso file to you. I think it's about 150MB. In the meantime I will try the run command you posted above.

Again, thanks for your help.

Scott

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 28 Aug 2019, 17:28

"What permissions would I look at if it was a permission problem; the permissions on the single file I changed, or the 003-settings.xzm file."
Both

"How could I get the custom iso file to you."
Please upload it to some web storage and send a link to support@porteus-kiosk.org or post here if no confidential data are in the config.

Thanks

Added in 13 hours 11 minutes 31 seconds:
Hello slammers,

Have a look here for potential resolution to your problem:
unsquashfs and then mksquashfs break SSH (Post by bonzo #73662)

I have update kiosk documentation accordingly (overlooked this as i still live in the world without 'sudo').

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

slammers
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by slammers » 29 Aug 2019, 18:51

Solved.
The link you sent about permissions on the files after unsquashfs and mksquashfs worked for me. Unfortunately I didn't think my user account owning the files would matter. I am also old school, where sudo is kind of a new thing. I go in and out of Linux stages as needed. I'm actually more familiar with FreeBSD but I couldn't tell you at this point if there is a sudo mechanism with that OS as I have not used that in a couple years.

Anyway, I appreciate your help and direction. I didn't need to try to run commands, but I will take a not of that in case I need to modify things later. Now that the server part is working as planned, I can push the solution to management to get it approved. I'm really happy and relieved.

Thanks again.