SOLVED Kiosk with local (Caddy) webserver

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
spizzicato
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Arch

SOLVED Kiosk with local (Caddy) webserver

Post#1 by spizzicato » 12 Aug 2019, 07:12

Hi everyone. I've made a static website with Hugo/Academic, and would like to turn this into a single kiosk. The site needs a webserver, though. Here's what I've done:

1) Unpack the porteus-kiosk edition iso
2) Unsquashed 003-settings
3) Copied the website into /website/
4) Extracted the caddy executable to /usr/local/bin
5) Edited /etc/rc.d/local_net.d to include

Code: Select all

caddy -root /website/
6) Squashfs'd 003-settings back together
7) Ran make-iso

Installed the iso with no further customization. But when I restart, Porteus doesn't start the browser.

This procedure makes sense to me, so I'm puzzled why it isn't working. Can anyone help me out? I'm new to this so if I should be doing something very different, I may need to start looking at a custom build.

Thank you!!
Last edited by spizzicato on 15 Aug 2019, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

spizzicato
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Arch

Kiosk with local (Caddy) webserver

Post#2 by spizzicato » 15 Aug 2019, 19:27

Never mind - I worked it out. I added an ampersand to have the server run in the background.
Super cool product.