[Solved] Can't get file:/// to work anywhere

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
test45
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk

[Solved] Can't get file:/// to work anywhere

Post#1 by test45 » 26 Sep 2018, 22:23

Hi there,

I love Porteus Kiosk! I am using it for a book search at a college library.

It works great, except I don't have anywhere to store files on a website, so I have to include the screensaver and desktop background files locally.

I have followed all the advice here, and eventually, I created a customimages.xzm that adds "kiosk-photos.zip" and "back.jpg" to /tmp/photos.

I also tried /opt/photos and /var/photos.

Then in the kiosk-config I point the screensaver and wallpaper parameters to file:///tmp/photos/kiosk-photos.zip and file:///tmp/photos/back.jpg

When the kiosk loads it always says it cannot find these files on the server.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, I can't ssh into these machines after installing a custom iso, so checking things will be difficult.

Thank you for any help!
Last edited by test45 on 27 Sep 2018, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

RandomStranger
White ninja
White ninja

Can't get file:/// to work anywhere

Post#2 by RandomStranger » 27 Sep 2018, 09:32

Have you tried browsing to file:///tmp/photos/back.jpg through the browser you have installed on the device?

And what you do you mean when the kiosk loads? During the installation or each reboot? did you include the customimages.xzm in your ISO when you installed it?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 27 Sep 2018, 10:09

Hello test45,

Local files are not supported but as a workaround you could unpack your screensaver images directly to /usr/share/screensaver and then use this parameter (first part sets the wallpaper so please change the path to match yours):

Code: Select all

run_command=hsetroot -fill /opt/wallpaper.png; sed -i 's/^rm -rf/#rm -rf/' /opt/scripts/screensaver-slideshow
You will still get 'server not accessible' notification but its harmless.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

test45
Ronin
Ronin

Post#4 by test45 » 27 Sep 2018, 22:53

That worked perfectly fanthom, thank you so much! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: