Sound Card

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
jfitton
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk

Sound Card

Post#1 by jfitton » 02 Jul 2018, 14:08

Having just started with the Kiosk edition, I have noticed that the sound card is not always available on first boot and this is possibly due to testing on laptop that has a HDMI output in addition to sound-card, even then going through the configuration builder and hardcoding a sound-card/mircophone does not always work when booting into the kiosk and sometimes the volume control is just not present at all.

Is there anyway to select the soundcard once booted into the kiosk.

We are looking at using the kiosk version to convert devices to thinclients to access Citrix and as we use voice/video within Citrix having sound is important to us.

Thanks

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Sound Card

Post#2 by fanthom » 02 Jul 2018, 15:01

Hello jfitton,

Are you running the kiosk on very same hardware model?

a) If not (your PCs have different sound devices) then you must configure kiosk for each PC type separately.

b) If yes then probably the same sound driver is used for both devices and sometimes they may be initialized in different order.
In this situation i would suggest investing into customized build with pavucontrol which would allow to select default sound device on demand.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

jfitton
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk

Sound Card

Post#3 by jfitton » 05 Jul 2018, 09:15

Hi
Yes I am using the same hardware, I install using the installation ISO create the configuration,selecting the soundcard and testing which plays the sound. Continue with the installation reboot removing the iso, and the sound doesnt work.

If the custom build option will fix this, how do I go through that process?
Thanks
John

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Sound Card

Post#4 by fanthom » 05 Jul 2018, 09:49

Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.