User Script (Javascript Injection)

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
gsdmbrown
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Suse, Ubuntu, RIP

Post#1 by gsdmbrown » 25 May 2018, 18:44

We are finding a lot of interesting uses for Portrus Kiosk around our district but are finding that some web apps need slight modifications to make them work well in a locked down kiosk. We can accomplish this on the Desktop side by using an extension such as Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey but wanted to see if it would be feasible to have a simple "user_script" or something similar config option that will load a JS file and execute it on all the pages. I can see a lot of other use cases that will make things simpler like injecting on screen keyboards widgets onto text input fields, scheduling/triggering to redirect to a new site after some time, reporting/tracking on the use of the kiosk but in my case adjust the UI of specific web apps to better fit our displays and make it easier to use.

Beyond that I wanted to saw how awesome Porteus Kiosk is. It is one of the few pieces of tech that once I put out I don't have to worry about breaking in the field. Keep up the great work!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 26 May 2018, 16:19

Hello gsdmbrown,

"wanted to see if it would be feasible to have a simple "user_script" or something similar config option that will load a JS file and execute it on all the pages."
I'm sorry - I dont know how to do this.

Anyway - 'browser_preferences=' parameter allows forcing installation of Chrome extensions so you can add Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey easily to your kiosks. Please follow this thread:
[Solved]Adding extensions to Chrome

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.